"Freed in the Rain"

"I've  never been to school before

"I've  never been to school before.  I've never had friends. It's all sort of  new to me."  Adrien shrugged sheepishly and turned back towards  Marinette.

He smiled, holding his umbrella out to her.

An  olive branch, she realized. An invitation to start over.  Marinette  thought back to how quickly and harshly she misjudged him; he was but  another victim of her tendency to act first and ask questions later.

He  hadn't deserved such treatment and here he was, taking the initiative  to make things right. Her stomach fluttered, and had she not been so  tongue-tied she would have apologized, but nothing came out.

A crash of thunder brought her back from her reverie and she blinked.

She hesitantly lifted her hand, wavered for a moment, then their hands brushed together as the umbrella was exchanged.

Thousands  of words and feelings came rushing towards them at once, so sudden and  overwhelming that they fell helpless to its current, a tumultuous river  of events and places

Thousands  of words and feelings came rushing towards them at once, so sudden and  overwhelming that they fell helpless to its current, a tumultuous river  of events and places. They could not tear their eyes away from each  other, the realization of what was occurring rooting them to the spot,  otherwise they might have collapsed right then and there from the shock.

The  world ceased to be, and all that existed was a boy and a girl.  A  cacophony of voices and emotions surrounded them, unheard to anyone  else, accompanied by the quiet spattering of early autumn rain.

Adrien  felt warmth. The smell of butter and sugar, the taste of hot chocolate  and cinnamon. Lingering embraces, playful pats on the head, a mother's  love and comfort. Strong arms and tight hugs, excited hollers, mashing  buttons on videogame controllers. A homey, comfortable bedroom, a haven  from the world. Pinpricks on fingertips, the act of plunging into an  artistic frenzy, and the satisfaction from when a creation turned out  just right. Tripping, slipping, stumbling here and there, always seeming  to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Numerous insecurities, the  bullying and mocking from a sneering face he knew very well.  Overwhelming self doubt as a certain pair of earrings was hidden away in  a drawer. Gentle hands on her shoulders, encouraging words, and a  reassuring smile from a black clad teammate. The surge of newfound  confidence as she purified corruption and evil in the form of a black  butterfly.

Marinette felt cold. Countless faceless figures  staring, prodding, scrutinizing, empty praises, blinding flashes and  camera shutters. A stunning woman with golden hair and emerald eyes,  once a source of comfort, gone. The constant feeling of loneliness,  abandonment and despair. The infrequent acknowledgement from the one man  he wanted to please the most. His large, empty bedroom, a glass prison  meticulously outfitted just for him and his boundless solitude. The  feeling of the crisp air in his lungs and the burning in his legs from  the very first time he sprinted and jumped across Parisian rooftops to  see how fast he could go. The thrill of watching the girl in red who was  meant to be his other half, brilliant and beautiful, rescuing his  childhood friend from certain death, formulating ingenious strategies, and  defeating a magical giant made of stone.  Sheer pride at seeing her  succeed against her fears and become not just a hero, but a symbol of  goodness. The love brimming within his heart, spilling over into what used  to be emptiness. How can such a broken heart still house such great love  and kindness?  Her eyesight became blurred by tears, unbidden and  unstoppable.

It  lasted merely an instant but it felt like a lifetime, and the teens  pulled away from each other as if they'd been shocked by electricity

It  lasted merely an instant but it felt like a lifetime, and the teens  pulled away from each other as if they'd been shocked by electricity.   Neither made a move but continued to stare, the tears kept flowing, and  Adrien choked back a sob. 

They had found each other.  Partners, yes, but also something more. 

The light to his darkness.

The calm to her chaos.

Something rare and wonderful had been gifted to them and fate had allowed them to meet and become complete. 

Marinette  jolted forward, wrapping her arms around Adrien's waist as tightly as  she was able, wanting to offer whatever solace she could, the comfort  and love he so desperately needed, fiercely determined to try to make up  for all those years of neglect and loneliness.

He clung to her  as if she would disappear at any moment, almost convinced that this was  too good to be true, too wonderful, too miraculous.

Feelings of  protectiveness and devotion consumed him, not understanding how he could  harbor such intense love for someone he didn't know.  But he did know  her, and she knew him.

More than anyone else in the world ever did.

The  umbrella lay forgotten on the pavement as the two teens embraced in the  rain, not noticing or caring that they were getting drenched, for the  love that was shared between them was more than enough to keep them  warm.