Chapter 29

We walked to his car, got in and we drove off. It was completely dark outside, I always loved to see all the little city lights in the distance.

We drove to the same burger place where Duff and I went earlier, I pretended like that never happened.

"Have you been here before?" Clayton asked as he parked the car

"Yes, once or twice in my childhood."

"Do you like it?"

"Yeah, certainly."

"Glad to hear" he said slightly laughing

We walked in and found a place to sit, we were the only one here and to be honest it felt kind of creepy.

"What would you like?" he asked

"Just a banana milkshake will do."

"Same to be honest."

He walked up to the bar thingy and placed the order, I saw him pay for it and thus I grabbed my bag to pay it back to him.

He came back and I handed him to money

"It's on me" he said

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah absolutely."

You know after all, I do pay the government a lot of money to pay expensive doctors like Clayton, and I am short on money so I really didn't mind.

We chatted for some time, till the barista came and gave us our milkshakes

"Thank you" I said kindly

"Tell me some more about you?"

"Why? You already know so much about me. Tell me about you!"

"Okay well, I grew up here in Lafayette and then my parents moved to Indianapolis, when I moved out I decided to move back to Lafayette. I am very happy with my current life and I love my job!"

"What is it about your job that you love so much?"

"meeting people like you, people who add something to my life. And knowing that I helped someone, does that make sense?"

"Yeah it surely does!"

"So, you're with the band?"

"yeah" I said, and then took a sip of the milkshake. "it's been a hell of a journey but I am over it. I think."

"You're gonna go your own way."

"You know, I've tried that many times but I always end up being with them in the end. It just sorta feels safe to be around them."

"I see."

For a moment we just sat there in silence and honestly, it was kinda nice. I don't know why, but for once in a really long time I felt more at ease than ever before. I missed having normal conversations, with normal people, in normal places.

Obviously I could have normal conversations with Duff and I used to have normal conversations with Axl when we were together, but lately everything just hasn't been the same. I think I speak for everyone when I say I missed the old times. When it was all just fun and games, no money and deals. When we still played at the roxy and the troubadour and no one knew our names.

"What are you thinking about?" Clayton asked. He pulled me out of my daze of daydreaming.

"Nothing special, you?"

"I was thinking of how pretty you are."

I was kinda shook, I looked away, out of the window. I saw the hill where Duff and I stood... and kissed. I couldn't help myself to imagine me and Clayton standing there, in each others embrace.