1. Being Amelia Salvatore

Mystic Falls, 1864

Amelia was getting ready for the Founder's Party with the help of her personal servant. Her beautiful and long red hair was curly and the servant started to put Amelia's hair up. After the hair was done, Amelia put the locket her father gave her for her fifteenth birthday. "What do you think, Vivian?" The sweet Amelia asked. The servant smile in approval and suddenly they both heard a knock on the door. "Come in!" Amelia responded.

"Am I interrupting, little sister?" A tall young man with black hair and piercing blue eyes asked with a slight smirk.

Amelia wrapped her arms around her brother. "You never interrupt, Damon." She let go of him. "You seem quite sad. What is happening?" Amelia sat on her bed and her brother joined her.

Damon sighed and looked at the perfectly polished wooden floor. "Katherine is being escorted to the party by Stefan."

Amelia put her arm gently around her brother. "Well, you are way too handsome to be wallowing about some girl who would rather go to this party with Stefan." She stood up and took his hand. "Mystic Falls may be a small town but it has some of the most beautiful women in the country."

Damon started dancing with his sister. "But I love Katherine." He smiled while spinning Amelia. "She told me that our father would never approve of our relationship."

"You realize that Katherine is manipulating you, don't you? It's been clear since the first day she stepped into this house that she has feelings for Stefan."

Damon stopped dancing. "Dear Amelia, you know nothing about love. You are way too young to know what love can do to your soul."

Both siblings heard a knock on the door and Vivian stepped inside the room. "Your father is asking you to go downstairs."

* * *

The Salvatores arrive at the Founder's Party and are immediately announced. Giuseppe steps down the carriage followed by Stefan who turns to help Katherine. "Such a gentleman!" Katherine smiles adoringly at Stefan.

Damon turns to Amelia and helps her get down. They arrive at the ballroom and Mayor Lockwood greets them, complimenting Amelia in the process. Suddenly, a tall young man approaches and starts talking to Damon. "I understand why you left the Confederacy." He smiles at Amelia. "I don't believe we've met." He say before kissing her hand.

"We did meet, George." Amelia gently smiles. "Don't you recognize me?"

"Amelia!" George Lockwood is the son of Mayor Lockwood and served in the army with Damon. Everyone assumed he would marry Amelia after his return and they already had Giuseppe's blessing. "You have blossomed into a stunning young lady!" He smiles. "Last time I saw you, Damon had to drag you from the stables. Do you still like to ride?"

Amelia smiles brightly. "I will always love to ride such a majestic creature like the horse."

George grabs Amelia's hand. "Would you like to dance?"

Damon smiles at Amelia and she smiles back. "I would be honored." The young couple start dancing around in the room while Damon stares at his brother Stefan dancing with his beloved Katherine. The night was far from over and some may say that the Founder's party was the beginning of the Salvatore's ruin.

***

Mystic Falls, Present Day

Mia was getting ready for her first day of school at Mystic Falls High. To everyone she is an average sixteen year old, but in her heart she knows she is so much more than that. She looks in the mirror while doing her hair and thinking about the last time she was in Mystic Falls. In her eyes, everything that happened to her was Katherine's fault, just like her brothers' obsession with her and her father's hatred for vampires. Back in 1864, vampires were the true enemies and no one really knew about the existence of other creatures. Mia shakes those thoughts away and puts her red sweater on before leaving the house and heading to her car. She parks her car and after opening the door she enters the campus. Every male student looks at the beautiful redhead and she winks at the jocks just to mess with them.

"Miss Salvatore!" The lady from the Principal's office calls. "Here is your schedule." She hands Mia a paper. "Welcome to Mystic Falls High!"

"Thank you." Mia looks at the paper and then bumps into a tall and nice boy. "Sorry." She apologizes before noticing the boy. "It's my first day and..." Suddenly she stares into his beautiful brown eyes.

He smiles and returns the paper to her. "No problem. Maybe I could show you around and make sure you don't have any more accidents or break a guy's arm. It's a serious issue."

Mia laughs. "You have a nice sense of humor."

"I'm Jeremy Gilbert, the resident funny guy." Jeremy shakes her hand.

Mia smiles. "I'm Mia... Salvatore."

"Salvatore?" Jeremy furrows his eyebrows and then pauses. "Nice to meet you."

She senses some tension in the way Jeremy reacted to her last name. "I need to go to the bathroom." She starts leaving and then turns to Jeremy once again. "You don't have to chaperone the new girl." Mia heads towards the bathroom and notices a girl leaning against a locker. She opens the bathroom's door and enters.

***

 Mia sits in English class when the teacher starts writing on the board. The door opens and the teacher stops writing. "It was nice of you to show up, Mr. Gilbert."

"Sorry." He takes a seat behind Mia and touches her shoulder. "I know what you are."

She looks worried but tries to hide it from Jeremy. "Then what am I?"

Jeremy looks at her. "Let's talk after class."

After school, Jeremy grabs Mia's arm and pulls her inside an empty classroom. "Your last name is Salvatore, which means you're related to Damon and Stefan." 

Mia sighs. "I'm their sister."

"Funny cause they never mentioned a sister." Jeremy stares at Mia. "My sister is dating your brother Stefan and he seems to have forgotten to mention you."

"They left me for dead in 1864." She walks across the room. "After I woke up, everyone was gone and I was all alone, except for my horse, Strauss" Mia sits on a table. "It sucks to wake up and think that your whole family is dead. It wasn't until later that I found out they actually knew I was alie but never bothered to look for me." She laughs sarcastically. "I expected it from Stefan, but Damon and I were really close, inseperable even."

Jeremy stands up. "Why weren't you close to Stefan?"

Mia raises an eyebrow. "I guess he was jealous that I was pretty and smart. Also, I was my father's favorite." She laughs slightly. "To be honest, he was boring and I liked adventure and Damon always made me laugh. Stefan was always seeking everyone's approval while Damon and I were more careless and aloof. We always did everything we wanted but Damon kept getting in trouble while I got away easily. It all changed when Katherine showed up."

"Everyone hates Katherine."

Mia touches her chin in a dramatic way. "Can't see why!" She crosses her legs. "Katherine is the definition of evil. I'm surprised no ever had the idea of using her picture to define 'Evil Bitch From Hell' she would be the perfect poster girl."

Jeremy laughs. "She really would." He suddenly stands up. "Look, why don't you just go to their house and talk to your brothers? Damon is terrible but Stefan is a pretty understanding guy."

"I don't know, Jeremy." Mia sighs and then thinks about all the times she had with both the Salvatore brothers.