•Chapter 7•

"Are you ok?" Anne asked the pilot, getting ready to whip out her bandages if they were needed.
"I'm fine, just cold. Thank you, that was close." He replied, taking a sip of his tea.
"We're just glad we got to you in time." Peter said, as they smiled to each other.

•••

As they got closer to Dunkirk, the clouds seemed to get greyer. Every once in a while a plane would fly overhead and Collins, the pilot, would jump up as one of his friends was still flying his spitfire.

Anne kept going and checking on George but things were still not looking good.

Anne shook violently in fear of what was lying ahead. She had been there; She knew what horrors were there and she didn't really want to go back. But she knew she had to.

"Are you ok?" Peter asked, squeezing her shoulder in reassurance.
"Yeh, I'm alright. It's just that I'm nervous, because I've been there." Anne didn't need to explain it all as Peter just nodded, showing that he understood.
"My brother went off to war, but he died after only 3 weeks. He was in the airforce." Peter said, trying to avoid eye contact now.
"That's horrible, but we can help save a lot of peoples brothers now." She replied giving him a quick hug to make him feel better and then she turned to face Dunkirk again. She didn't, however, see Peter's face go bright red.

•••

Dunkirk came into view and they could see a destroyer and a smaller boat the had capsized near it. They could also see the remaining Luftwaffe and Spitfire.

The Luftwaffe began to take aim at the destroyer and dropped bombs while the Spitfire tried to shoot it down. Anne held her breath and everybody around her seemed to too.

The destroyer was hit and soldiers could be seen jumping from it. There was a large puddle of oil in the sea and a lot of the men seemed to be jumping into it to get away.

Mr Dawson stopped the boat at the edge of the oil puddle but they ended up in at as the oil was getting moved in all directions.

Men immediately began swimming over to the boat. Anne, Peter, Collins and Philip began to drag people and pull them into the boat.

Anne grabbed one mans arm and pulled in to the boat.
"Anne?" He said and she looked at him while bandaging up his wound. She realised quickly who it was.
"Hi Alex, you ok?"
It was the soldier Anne had met earlier, when the first boat had capsized.
"Fine, thanks." He replied before walking down the stairs.

"Be careful down there!" Peter shouted as the men went downstairs into the boat.
Alex was crouched down next to George.
"He's dead, mate." Alex said.
Peter stood for a moment, obviously upset.
"Well be careful with him." He replied before helping more soldiers.

Anne gave him a sympathetic smile, and squeezed his shoulder reassuringly. She then carried on with her job.

She looked to the other destroyer and saw the Luftwaffe taking aim, but she then saw it hit by the Spitfires bullets. It zoomed towards the oil.

If that plane set on fire, it would all go up in flames.
"Dad! Quickly move the boat." Peter shouted loudly to his dad.

Mr Dawson quickly got the boat out of the oil and in the direction of home.

As the boat was speeding away, the plane crashed into the water and exploded. This made the oil set on fire which meant that any soldiers who were left in that part of the water were killed.

Anne turned and saw that Peter was dragging someone along with the boat as it sped off so she ran over and grabbed his arm too. Peter looked at her, and she smiled at him. He smiled back.

When Mr Dawson slowed the boat back down, Collins helped Peter and Anne pull the soldier on to the boat.

He coughed up the water he had just swallowed when he was being pulled along. But he then looked up at the 3 and smiled. They all smiled back at him.