13.3.17

my body was numb and remembered the yellow gossip and blushing pink compliments we shared last night. I'd woken up having not felt this happy for, I'd say a year. I felt inspired this morning, the glow of the morning sun slept on top of my art journal, as if it was saying 'open me up and paint something,' and I agreed, I should.
I picked up my pocket mirror and my assemblage of art equipment, placing it beside me, focusing on a different outlook today.
I picked up my pocket mirror and stared back at my face. I instantly sighed, noticing how blotchy my morning skin was, the darkness looming under my sleepy eyes, and my nest of hair. I then remembered last night and the kind words an intoxicated Reece spoke to me, and suddenly my insecurities seemed not so major. I placed my fine-line brush into a glass of water, and mixed the orange, red and white together to create an easy skin tone.
Once I had the basic outline and base of my face I decided to paint more enthusiastically and more to more to my genre, dipping my paintbrush in bolder colours and placing radically on my self-portrait. The colours were supposed to encapsulate my emotion and how I was feeling, and I think I portrayed that pretty well.

I had work this evening and was tempted to call in sick, at the moment I just wanted my own freedom and it'd be wasted tonight in the lonely washing up room, as I scraped cold cuts of leftover food into the bin. It's not like I would miss anything either, I didn't particularly like the people I worked with, I hadn't got to know them enough, I was easily forgotten in the corner. I messaged me boss and claimed I had come down with a fever, it was plausible as I heard it had been making the rounds again.

Foolishly, I had made my way down to the beach later than evening, despite my work place being a good two minute walk away. If anyone looked out of the window and knew my silhouette well enough, then I was busted. No/one did, I'd be surprised if anyone remembering my name there.
I was hoping to meet Reece again and rekindle the fun we had last night.
There he was, in his famous green parka jacket, and spaniel by his side, as he sat on his phone, completely oblivious that I stood proudly behind him.

"So much for living the moment," I chuckled as I sat beside him, his eager spaniel wagged is tailed and tackled his way over to greet me. "What's his name?" I spoke, stroking the wet haired dog who swaddles me with sloppy kisses.

"Jake, sorry I was just texting my sister." He smiled, sliding his phone into his jean pocket. "So last night," he chuckled looking down at his lap, I laughed alongside him, wondering how he'd continue. He didn't, he looked up at me with a smile.

"I didn't realise you hated tequila that much," I teased and he shook his head, remembering last nights antics.

"Talk about you, three daiquiris in and well," he stopped, knowing not to embarrass me.

"I told you I don't go out much, and there's a reason." I spoke, but I wanted to go out more. That was Reece's window to chirp in and say 'well we should do it more often,' but he didn't.

"Yeah, maybe you should stay in more," he teased giving me a gentle nudge.

"But I want to go out more, that was the most fun I've had in a while," I spoke truthfully.

"You know what?" Reece paused, "me too. We should do it more often," he nodded ruffling Jakes silly black fur.

"We should," I nodded in agreement, gazing out at the darkened sea, the moon fell like lace on top.

"Aren't you suppose to be at work?" Reece enquired, but I shook my head. "Round two tonight?" but his tone of voice didn't seem sarcastic, more genuine.

"I don't know if I could handle two nights out, especially with you," I teased, looking down at our feet that were dangling off of the cliff. He wore leather boots, I wore converse.

"I wasn't even bad compared to you," he laughed, "don't worry I was joking," he confirmed. "I'll take baby steps with you," he spoke quietly. I quickly turned my head in his direction, perplexed by his words. I watched as he stood up, brushed himself down and smile me a goodbye.

"Baby steps?" I repeated to myself, hoping it would become more apparent to me.