Chapter 3

"Morning," I heard Alan say in his early-morning raspy voice.

The sun was streaming through the window, warming my skin where it was exposed. The duvet and pillows surrounding me made me feel like I was lying on a cloud, my body was molded so perfectly to the soft mattress. I smiled up at Alan, who knelt along my side of the bed, smiling down at me that gorgeous smile that I loved so much. I stretched my arms high above my head, working the sleepiness out of my body. Even though they were sore, the pain was bearable for now, especially seeing how calm and laid back he seemed to be this morning. Though I also noticed how he was freshly showered, clothed in faded jeans and a navy blue V-neck.

"Where're you off to?" I said lightly, though I was genuinely curious. From what I knew, there were no set plans for today, no rehearsals, no interviews. I thought we were just going to hang around the house, have a relaxing day. I'd actually been looking forward to it.

"My friend down at the music store needs someone to fill in for a guy who just quit. I guess I'll be down there 'til they find a replacement." He shrugged his shoulders and smiled sadly. I felt my good mood deflate a little bit. Of course this didn't change my plans for today, but I wasn't looking forward to occupying this big house all by myself. I wanted to be with Alan.

"Any way to get out of it?" I suggested, sitting up slowly against the pillows behind me. A wave of dizziness came over me and I held my head to stop the throbbing that began to pulse in my temples.

"Already tried," Alan said with a sigh, shoving his hands in his pockets. "You okay?" He asked me then, seeing the pain from my head that was evident on my face.

"Could you just grab me some Exedrin real quick?" I asked him cautiously after a moment of contemplating the question in my head. I rarely asked Alan for pain meds, but he seemed to be in a good mood this morning, aside from having to help out at the store downtown, so I figured I'd try. Honestly, I've never even had the guts to ask before. Without a word, he walked towards the bathroom and went for the medicine cabinet. After hearing him rustle around for a second, he came back out with a tall glass of water and two small white pills in his hand.

"Thanks, babe." I said smiling as I quickly downed the medicine. Excedrin always worked the fastest for me, so I immediately relaxed in the thought of relief that would soon come.

"You know," Alan said uncomfortably. He sat down next to me on the bed, clearing his throat. "I'm trying."

I just looked at him and pressed my lips together, starting to play with my fingers that lay in my lap.

"You know that right?" He asks worriedly, staring at me in a way that forces me look up into his captivating eyes.

"I always know." I say truthfully. I knew he was being honest as well, but that didn't make it hurt any less, it didn't make the bruises and scars disappear.

"I love you." He said softly as he leaned over me gently and placed a kiss on my forehead. I closed my eyes and savored the feeling as a snaked my arms around his neck.

"I love you, too." I said with a slight smile when he pulled back a little, looking up at him as he hovered over me.

"I'll be back a little before dinner, cool?" He said.

"Yup," I replied. He leant down once more for a quick kiss before getting up and walking out the door.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

I was being highly unproductive today. After Alan left, I made a mental list of all the things that I wanted to get done around here, stuff I never really got the chance to do given any other day. But so far I had only watched two hours worth of re-runs of American Horror Story while I hadn't moved an inch from our bed. I hadn't even bothered to change out of what I slept in. I was too comfortable, and even more lazy. My headache had subsided not long after I took the medicine, but there was still an overall soreness in my shoulders and ribs that I managed to ignore pretty well as I lay among the fluff of the pillows and duvet.