chapter 1 -

! TW: Themes of abuse etc.!

(K
iyomi's p.o.v)

A new day. A new means more work. A new day means more abuse.

Despite the fact I'd grown up with it, I still flinched at my so-called mother's voice. I longed for the day where I wouldn't have her voice echoing around my head.
"Kiyomi! I did not shelter you in my house for you to lounge around all day and do nothing! I have allowed you to stay in this house and I will not have you and your slob ways infect my children. Get your sad excuse of a body and move it into the library or I'll drag you by your hair myself. I expect the whole room to be spic and span when I check. If it's not, you'll wish I'd thrown you out to the streets and left you to rot."

That, my friends, was Juuri-Sama. I honestly despise calling her that. Sadly, it's one of my many orders to use that honorific on the Kuran family. I was meant to be part of that family, but due to my appearance and my mother's deluded thoughts, that seems impossible.

Begrudgingly, I pushed myself up and made my way to the family library. The lords above seemed to be in my favour today as the cleaning products were in the library already. Or maybe I'd forgotten to return them to the cupboard last time I used them- Probably the latter.

I slid on my handcrafted mask to block out the dust. Kaname crafted it for me before he too became deluded. I didn't really understand why they wanted me to clean this place. Nobody else uses the family library. They're all too busy fawning over Kaname and his academic achievements. And Yuuki, with her adorable little face and cheery demeanour. I'm the only person to ever use the library. It's sad, really. The library's filled with thousands of ancient novels that have been passed down from generation to generation. And they were trusted with a bunch of selfish idiots. 

I'd been cleaning for around 3 hours when I'd decided I needed a break. My wrists were aching from the non-stop dusting, scrubbing, and stretching. During the break, I began to feel dizzy so I removed the dust mask. It usually helped when this happened, but this time it didn't. After 15 minutes of a constant pounding in my head, I figured I'd most likely pass out from dehydration. You see, Juuri and Haruka only allowed me to consume half a pint of blood a day and the average child requires at least 3 pints to function normally. 

My assumptions were confirmed as my temples began to pulse along with my head beginning to spin. I was a little scared but I knew that I'd wake up after so that helped. The black dots clouded my vision shortly after and I slowly slid off the ladder I was previously leaning on to lay on the floor. Fun tip: If you're about to pass out, sit or lay down. You don't want to fall while standing and risk breaking something. Trust me, I know from experience.
I relaxed as the darkness consumed me and I fell into the never-ending pit of unconsciousness. The void welcomed me with open arms, much like a young child would welcome a puppy.

(A/N: I had no clue what analogy to put so I thought about a young child and a puppy. <3 ((A/N: After coming back and editing this again, I still haven't come up with a better analogy. Sorrysorry.))

************************************

The sharp stinging sensation on my left cheek pulled me back to reality as I regained consciousness. Stood above me was the miniature terror I knew all too well. Despite me being a good couple of years older than the rat, she was both taller and stronger than me. It makes sense when you think about my restricted blood intake- God I love malnutrition!

"Get up! Get up! Get up! Lazy slob!!!" Her high-pitched whine filled the room, not helping my headache that followed the passing out. Her horrendous shrieks were followed by her tiny fist enclosing itself into my hair to yank me up. That was when I noticed the taller figure stood behind her. Dear, sweet, oh-so-precious Kaname. Of course, he had to trail after her highness like a little lapdog. That was all he was, really. A pathetic lapdog.