3-Baby oh baby

Early in the morning after Subhi prayer on the seventh day, Salamatu's baby was named in the masjid. He was named Muhammadu and not long after that, women started trooping into their house to celebrate with them. Both mother and child were dressed beautifully, smiling every now and then. All her married elder sisters came, her friend Indo too, who got married few months after her was five months pregnant.

Sala was told to get dressed again as her husband's people were coming after Zuhr. When they came, they were taken to Nanna's room were the women gave them a warm reception, Sala came in, squatted and greeted them. They showered blessings upon her then presented the gifts they brought for both mother and child.

"Bring our maigida for us let's see him" Inna, Garba's stepmother said, referring to the baby. Sala went back to Dada's room, where she left the baby on the bed, with her sisters and friends there. He was sleeping peacefully in his cot, she picked him up and noticed that the baby didn't stir, he was a light sleeper and normally either stirred or woke up when carried while sleeping. She took him to the room anyway to her in-laws. They took turns carrying him and swoon over how handsome he was. "Look, he has Mallam's nose" Hajiyar Makka said

"Yes, and look at his limps, he will definitely be tall like his father and uncle's" Inna replied.

When he was given back to her, she thought to wake him up and feed him, as he had been sleeping for more than three hours. Still, Muhammadu wouldn't stir. He looked stiff. Salamatu became worried and drew Dada's attention "Dada he is not been moving at all. He's stiff, are you sure he's alright?" she lamented

Dada took the baby and examined him, the expression on her face thereafter was not a nice one, she passed him to Nanna and whispered something into her ear. Nanna checked the baby's pulse then hugged him to her bossoms, after a while, she let out a wail that startled everyone. "Muhammadu did not come to stay for long. He's gone, he's no more" she cried

Innalillahi wainna ilaihi rajiun was what everyone kept muttering. Sala took minutes to wrap her head around what the women were saying, amidst the commotion, she yanked her son away from Nanna and shook him vigorously "Muhammadu please wake up, it's me your mother. Wake up and take your milk, I promise not to complain that I'm tired or that you feed too much or don't sleep at night again. Please wake up my son" she sobbed. She undid her blouse not minding that her in-laws were there and tried to feed him "Please eat my child, Mama loves you" when he still wouldn't stir, she realized that he's indeed gone. That was when the gravity of it sank in deep, she let go of him and screamed loudly, attracting the attention of those that were not aware.

Salamatu cried and cried and cried. She will loose consciousness, when she was revived, she will ask where her son was and if she remembered, she will cry again till she faints once more. The once celebrative moment turned into to mourning.

And just like that, Muhammadu, Salamatu and Garba's first child was gone.

***

"It was borin jini that was wrong with this child. You should have rubbed palm oil on him and put him out in the sun" a woman who came to pay condolence said. "We did put him out once. I guess we didn't really take it serious that's why" Dada replied solemnly blaming herself for the baby's death. People were also not helping matters, they kept talking and talking about how the baby would have been alive if they were not negligent. Some said he was even killed, and Sala's mothers prayed her in-laws would not hear any of it. Which was almost impossible.

Sala's baby died of untreated jaundice. Had it been he was taken to the health center, or she was taken there to deliver in the first place, all that would have been prevented as it would have been detected, and treated. But the problem with our people is lack of awareness, and also lack of trust. They believed the doctors were out to harm them, or could not do any good but harm. Lack of awareness in the sense that they didn't know there are times you are supposed to go to the health center, not only when you're physically weak or unable to do anything. Times like during pregnancy, for delivery, after birth and also for the baby's immunisation. It would go a long way if they are informed.