1

An alarm buzzed at 6:45 on a Tuesday morning, disturbing a sleeping girl from her slumber. A drowsy hand rose and clamped down on the alarm, silencing the machine at the click of a button. The girl, who was tangled in her pale green bed sheets, sat up and stretch. This is Aya Evergreen, a normal school girl who does as she was told and doesn't disrespect those who are around her. As of now, her towhead hair was a bird's nest as her pajamas slung gently on her body. Rubbing her blue eyes, the sixteen year old yawned as she got out of her bed. This was rather normal for her on a normal school day, however, this was her first day back to school; well, back to a school, to be more accurate.

She had been transferred to the school that her cousin, Hal Jordan, works for, due to all the violence and mistreatment that students such as Aya, had to deal with. And to be honest, she was nervous, Aya did not want to deal with the same type of harassment that she had suffered in the past, though she had learned ways to cope with the bullies, they seemed to find a way to always break her down, and guiding her into depression.

The girl slips on her slippers and headed down the stairs slowly due to her hip; once she arrived, she noticed that Hal was up already and watching the news. He turned his attention towards Aya and smiled.

"Hey, AI," Hal said, calling Aya by her nickname. "How did you sleep??"

Aya shrugged. "Like most nights: a dreamless rest."

Hal got up from his place on the sofa. "You nervous about school??" He asked.

Aya said nothing but nod her head in response. Hal sighed as he brought his cousin into a friendly hug. He knew that Aya was stressed out about the new school; and the potential challenges she may indeed face, however, Hal worked at the school as a JROTC Commander a couple of times a week; but he was merely an excellent math teacher. He knew most of the students rather well and believes that a few of the good students may help his distressed cousin to relax about the school situation.

"Don't worry about it, Aya. This school is different than the other one; I'm sure that you'll fit in, no time!" He said with a confident smile.

Aya looked up and gave Hal a small smile. He was always a big brother figure to her, even before her parents died, they were the closest of friends. She trusted him in any situation, and 95% of the time, he keeps his word. And if he claims that North Oaks High was better than her previous school, then she would believe him willingly.

The two pulled away from the embrace as Hal made his way into the kitchen as he prepared breakfast. Normally, with most morning, is would be cereal, OJ, a slice of toast, and some coffee for the remainder of the morning when school began. But Hal cooked up some eggs and French toast today, since it was Aya's first day, and he wanted her to feel relaxed and at peace. Once the food was finished, Hal got three plates; one for Aya, one for himself, and one for his fiancé, Carol.

Light clicking of heels trailed down the stair as Carol made her way to the kitchen. She was dressed in a dark purple dress coat with a slightly lighter orchid purple short dress underneath. Her hair neatly combed and was held up with Bobbie pins. She embraced Hal as she kissed his cheek.

"Morning." She said as she went and sat at the counter top besides Aya.

"Good morning, Carol." Aya said in a friendly manor, placing her hands in her lap as Hal placed a slice of toast and a cooked egg on each plate, sliding two of the dishes over to the ladies.

"How did you sleep, babe?" Hal asked as he took his plate in his hand and walked over to his place at the table.

"Eh, same old, same old." Carol spoke as she began to eat her French toast. "I had to get up early today; secretaries from the district are hosting another one of their meetings this morning. Most likely chance that I won't be work at the school all day."