The Threat of the Black Flag

The taxi stopped in front of the residence's gate and upon exiting the car Sarah spotted Ishaan waiting behind the gate. He did not look friendly. Sarah showed the gatekeeper her ID and the gate opened. She slowly walked up to her husband.

"And where do you think you're coming from?" he asked.

"From outside, as you can see," Sarah said in an earnest voice.

Together they walked back to the residence.

"I'm wondering if you even think before you act every once in a while," Ishaan said.

"What's that supposed to mean? I felt like taking a walk and so I took it. Why are you so angry about it?"

"Hmm, why could that be? Perhaps because you just disappeared in the middle of the night without telling anyone, just hours after someone tried to blow you up!"

"Some amateur tried, some amateur failed. There are seven million people in this city. How would anyone find me when I'm wandering the streets, notably with many other people who are outside just like me?"

"They might observe these very premises. You can't know. Do you think I am only all too happy about losing my wife upon arrival on this planet?"

Sarah sighed. "Of course not. But I assure you there was no danger. I was careful and you know I can protect myself."

"Even from a sniper picking you off from a rooftop?"

"I would sense the threat and shield myself."

"Don't kid yourself. You're not superhuman, you're a normal human with extra abilities."

"It depends on the definition," Sarah said, smirking internally.

"No it doesn't!" Ishaan shouted.

Sarah glanced at him. "I know you worry easily, but I know I can protect myself. I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was leaving. I didn't want to disturb your sleep." And I didn't want you trying to stop me, she added in thoughts.

"There is such a thing as telepathy, you know? You could have told me that way and I'd have known upon waking up."

Sarah hesitated before answering. They entered the residence and took the stairs one floor up, where Sarah's office was.

"I forgot," Sarah said, almost mumbling. "And I suggest we drop it now. I am safe and was safe."

"Fine, let's drop it," Ishaan said, a clear grumble in his voice. He walked away without saying another word. Sarah sighed and looked at the floor. Ishaan cared about her, but he also became overbearing quickly with his worries. Her temperament did not always help her find the right words.

"Marital troubles, governor?" a voice behind Sarah said. Sarah turned around and saw Henry standing there, having just come up the stairs.

"More of a strategical dispute," Sarah said.

"I see. Well, it is not my business."

"It's fine. And please, don't call me governor. Call me 'ma'am,' 'lady,' just 'Sarah' or anything that's neither 'Governor' nor 'Your excellency,' please."

"Very well, ma'am. If you mind my saying, 'Your excellency' would not be appropriate anyway."

Sarah chuckled.

"My meeting with the Admiral is at 9, right?"

"Quite so, though she is already here. She said she has unexpectedly arrived early and will wait until you have time for her."