You Never Leave the Stage

Lillian stepped out of the car onto the sidewalk along the fence lined across the back of the school, the only section where the theater was visible from a distance. The large, ominous building had, years ago, intimidated her. Not so much in the countless performances she had participated in during her time at South High School, but merely in its appearance. But that was years ago, she had quickly grown accustomed to the building, her one place of refuge in a harsh world. The one place where she could pretend to be someone else when nobody ever listened to what was real.

She pulled herself out of her nostalgic trance and looked around, scanning the oddly empty parking several yards away. She had some time before Arwin's performance, but not too much time. Only enough time for him to get into character.

This was a common practice, and she understood it. It was not easy to get into a life of stage acting, even in a town like Stromwood, where theater was well respected. Even at her high school it seemed as though everyone knew whenever there would be a show, plenty of people came and the actors were often part of large social circles. So naturally, after years of trying to improve his abilities, it would only be natural for him to take it as seriously as he does. But she had to admit, it did seem a little worrying at times.

She took one more glance at the theater before finally sparking a conversation with Arwin, who was tightening his belt. "Do you still remember the name of the play?"

"Yes," he answered, with an almost disinterested tone, "The Mystery Plays, same as the last time you asked me."

Arwin's blunt response surprised her, but she quickly dismissed it. She had been talkative in their drive here, and it was at her request that they stop by the theater, even though it was Arwin who was performing later that day. Most actors she had come to know had some sort of motivational ritual they would do before a show, but not him. At least, not aside from his method acting, which could be overwhelming at times. The two met backstage during a rehearsal their freshman year, their first show at South. Neither of them had gotten a lead role, so that left them plenty of time to talk while the others were on stage. Lillian was quickly impressed by how blithe and optimistic he seemed to be during that show, even though he only had a few lines toward the end that would simply serve to help uplift one of the main characters.

Lillian grasped the side of the door and turned for one last look at the theater before sliding into the front seat, still thinking about how to start a conversation to break the increasingly obvious silence. "Are you nervous?" she asked him, knowing he would be much too confident to be nervous. He had, after all, been trying to get into character for the last few weeks. Arwin was unusually secretive about his role this time around, Lillian never heard him even mention the name of his character, much less what he would be doing in the show. But despite the universal misconception of actors, Arwin was on good terms with secrecy.

"No," he answered, "I can't afford to have any weakness right now".

Lillian didn't look at him when he answered, but she could tell he was smiling. His obvious character voice helped alleviate some of the tension, even if he did sound menacing. It wouldn't be the first time he played a character like that.

The long stretches of time he would request for concentration during each of his shows had, over time, grown on her. Out of habit she ended the conversation and began peering out the window at the passing buildings. She knew this part of town well, many of her out-of-school theatrical endeavors were conceived in the area. The children's theater wasn't too far from South High School, she barely glimpsed it as Arwin passed a yellow light. That was where she had first found theater, no ordinary school could ever have taught her the lessons she acquired in that building. One particular performance came to mind, way back in second grade her "troupe" had attempted to recreate Hamlet in cuts. Lillian had to cross-dress as Polonius since all of the boys were taken up by the many male roles of the play.