Chapter 20

With my arm wrapped around Philip's, we both await eagerly at the train station. This is a big step, waiting together for our fathers. It's the 31st, the last day of the year and we decided we should greet our parents together. Of course, I don't know how Mr Hamilton is going to react. Papa will probably be cold and icy towards Philip.

I know a lot of people, particularly Anastasie, tell me stories of fathers banishing their children or disowning them. While Papa may be angry, he loves me too much to even risk the idea of losing me. And I know Mr Hamilton is the same way towards Philip.

If only the two men realized they aren't very different at all. Papa has been through hell and back his entire life, the best things stripped of him seconds after arriving. From what I've gathered of Alexander is quite similar. Father had both his parents, however his father was abusive and they both died. Alexander's father left and his mother died when he was 12. Papa was left to fend for himself and strive to live at a young age, and Hamilton did the same. People gave scholarships to my father in hopes of him getting a good education and fulfilling his parents last wishes. After the horrible hurricane, the town collected money to ship Alexander Hamilton here. Alexander may not have lost his wife, he lost his good friend and, um, partner right after the war. However, the two are blinder than bats and Pew from Treasure Island combined! They refuse to see the other side and are convinced their opinion is the only right one! Normally, I would accuse Alexander Hamilton, since I was taught to hate him. Now I see my father causes half the drama himself, blaming the fiascos on Hamilton!

(My class is reading Treasure Island and Pew is an old beggar with his eyes taken out, just in case you were wondering.)

I see Philip sigh, and I pulled from the light rainclouds above my head. Suddenly, my heart pounds and I begin to worry over what's making him sad. Snap out of it Theodosia. I bring my free hand to pinch my arm, yet I feel nothing.

Philip takes a sharp breath as I force my fingers together and I look surprised. Then, I notice the soft fabric of Philip's cotton coat rather my velvet one. Oh Frick, I pinched him!

"I, um, I-" I try to explain myself as a nervous droplet trickles from my scalp. However, as I open my mouth to start again, the train pulls in and the wide dries the saliva right from my open and now dusty mouth. "Ew." I spit it out to the ground, taking my arm and wiping my tongue down it as Philip chuckles beside me.

"Oh grow up, Freckles." I retort, slightly smashing his foot.

"As if, my Angel."

His nickname has me pink and I turn to watch the doors open, let people out, close, open again. Then I see Papa walk out with a royal purple hat, surprisingly bright, and a few people later Alexander leave with his ever so ugly green suit. Papa walks to us, glaring at Philip, and Alexander has his nose in the air as he strides over. Detaching from Philip I go and hug Father, kissing his cheek.

"Papa! It's so good to see you again!" I tell him as he hugs me back gratefully.

"It quite is, my General. I'm so exhausted, who knew the people down there were so demanding?" He jokes, poking my shoulder as I giggle.

"Maybe you shouldn't work in politics then, Burr." Alexander says as he arrives, hearing Papa's last statement.

"Pops!" Philip hisses.

"Mr Hamilton!" I walk over, arms open for a hug. He pats my head and turns to Pip.

"You are still with her?" He says, and Ace grabs my waist defensively pulling me towards his chest.