Chapter 8

Throughout the night, Ed remained by Roy's side in the hospital, witnessing his partner's constant moaning and occasional bouts of sickness. The doctor had expressed concerns about the possibility of Roy going into early labor, emphasizing the risks it posed for both him and the baby. Ed had been a steadfast presence, offering unwavering support to Roy. When Roy woke up once again, whimpering in pain, Ed immediately sprang into action, rushing to fetch the doctor.

The doctor hurried into the room and assessed Roy's condition, placing a hand on his stomach, which had become tense and hardened. With a solemn expression, the doctor informed Roy, "You're in labor." Roy let out a pained whimper as the contractions intensified, causing him to experience excruciating back pain. Ed remained by his side, firmly holding his hand, feeling a deepening worry with each passing moment. The doctor advised Ed to keep a vigilant watch as the labor progressed, to which Ed responded, "I've been doing that throughout the entire pregnancy." The doctor nodded approvingly and departed, instructing Ed to call if any concerns arose.

Ed spent the entire day sitting with Roy, his anxiety mounting. He made calls to inform Riza, his brother, Winry, and Hughes about Roy's labor. They assured him that they would come by later to see Roy. Roy drifted in and out of sleep, only to wake up in sudden screams of agony. Ed promptly called for the doctor, who rushed into the room and confirmed that Roy was indeed in labor. With each cry of pain, Ed's worry deepened. He anxiously questioned the doctor, "Will he make it?" The doctor responded cautiously, stating that there was a chance if they proceeded slowly and prioritized safety. Determined, Ed declared, "We'll play it safe. I'm not going anywhere, Roy." Roy mumbled through the pain, expressing the intensity of his suffering. Ed, fiercely protective, contacted everyone once more, updating them on Roy's labor, and they reassured him of their presence later.

Roy whimpered with each twinge of pain, enduring the labor with unwavering bravery, knowing that Ed stood beside him as his unwavering protector.