After the storm

Ambrose pov

I stand under the water and let it run down my face and body, pretend it's the reason my eyes are stinging, pretend the freezing cold water is the reason I'm shaking, pretend that it's the reason why my breathing is so shallow. And yet I know it not. I stand there, thinking, getting lost in the sound of water falling, in the sound of nothing. I know I'm wasting my water and time. Meaning I'm wasting money but I just can't move, my mind won't let me.

5 minutes and 32 seconds later I come back into reality and quickly turn the tap off, with a groan the water cuts off and leaves me standing there, I grab a towel from the rack and wrap it around my waist, letting it hang there. I marched into ou...my bedroom. Racking my fingers through my hair, my hair that had grown too long again.
I drew my hand through it once more, it was wet but soft under my hands, the hands that had started to change. Start to get older. I was getting older.

I got dressed in my new 1 year old suit, which was of course, black, plain black with a white under shirt and linen shirt. I dried my hair and sat on my bed. Almost as if contemplating life, the hard life. Work, rivalry. The impossible since I had met Lilly, all the normal had become almost impossible. And I was going to do the most impossible of them all. Today was the day I was going to do it, I was going to confront Lord Daughliesh, maybe even kill him, maybe I'll make him wait, torture him. I'll make him feel the pain he made me feel.

"Then, why are you hesitating, sir?" I hear her voice ask, her impossible voice. Lilly, my Lillian. She smiled at me from her eyes, her chocolate eyes and her peachy little lips. Her round, small face creasing up with little lines around her mouth, the little dimples.

"I, Mr Linton, am not hesitant about anything."

"It's Mrs Ambrose to you or at least Miss Linton. And you are, you hesitating, you've been doing it for years."

"You are mistaken Mrs Ambrose."

"You hesitated before hiring me, you hesitated before kissing me, you hesitated before telling me you loved me, and when you asked me to marry you. No matter how much you made it sound confident and very much like a business proposal, you still hesitated. So I'll repeat myself." She took a step forward and leaned in. I could almost feel her in there with me. Almost. "Why are you hesitating, Sir?"

"Maybe, I have been hesitating but I'm not hesitant about this, I will kill him, I will..." she looked at me with a almost sad face, almost as if she knew it was a lie. And all the truth that lay behind that phrase, and it almost killed me to see that. "I will make him pay."

"I think you're scared sir"

"Scared, Mr Lin... Mrs Ambrose? Of what, pray tell may I ask?" I said with a softness I had never used before, a kind of softness used for babies. Quite the opposite of my normal venom.

"You're scared of what he'll do, what he can do. That you'll lose it all, your workers, your family, your money, and your terrified that'll you'll lose me, but you shouldn't be, because your scared he'll get his hands on me, do things to me, torture me but guess what sweetie?" She was right at my ear now, her words echoing through my brain. "He can't kill me twice!"
These words were deafening and yet not even real, just a figment of my deluded brain.
He killed her and that's why he must pay, not in gold but his screams, his life.

***

Sorry this is so short, I hope you enjoyed.
Love
HerNarniaYouInHere2