Circus Of Emotions

Balla looks down at the audience as she starts to walk. All of the spotlights are on her. There is a safety net to catch her if she falls. Her long brown hair is wet from sweating with nervousness but still smiling. She begins to walk on the tightrope. Holding the umbrella in the air and loosing balance a little, she ruffles her white fluffy tutu. It got caught on the umbrella. Half way through Balla's brown eyes sees the ringmaster, Druitt, lights the safety net on fire.

    Balla sighs then smiles, annoyed by Druitt trying to show off to the audience. The audience awwed. She carefully walks to the end of the tightrope and the crowd cheers. Balla spots Druitt while the audience applauds. Druitt winks at her with his ocean blue eyes and smiles. He takes his black top hat off and ruffles through his wavy blonde hair, then puts it back on. He fixes his black, ringmaster suit ,then he puts the mike close to his lips and says,

“Give another hand to the whole circus!” Balla could hear his voice throughout the giant, red and white striped, big top tent.

Before Druitt can finish his speaking, Balla rides the pole down and walks out to her trailer.

“Nice work, Balla.” She quietly compliments herself as she opens her door. Before she walks in, a girl with her blonde hair into what looked like a swan and her blue eyes wide with excitement ,approached Balla.

“Guess what, sissy?! Druitt says that were going to have a new recruit tomorrow!”

“Calm down, Marionette. Are you sure?” Bella softly smiles as she ruffles through her little sister's hair.

Balla starts laughing. Marionette has always said this but no recruit ever comes.

“Yes I know I am right! Druitt even said he grew up in a circus like we did.”

Balla smiles softly. 

“That’s news. Now you should go wash your make up away before it smudges.”

“Okay, see you for supper, Balla!”

Balla watches Marionette as she runs to her tent. Balla has always felt sorry for anybody that lived a life like her. Almost anyone who grew up in a circus never made any friends outside the circus. The circus was always traveling. Balla walks into her medium sized trailer and sat on her blue hammock. The only lights in the room were her night stand lamp and the ceiling light.

“I would leave,” she whispers to herself. “ But I can’t leave Mari alone.”

Marionette, her younger sister, loves working at the circus. She’s a clown.

Balla looks around her spacious room. She looks at one corner, her favorite corner. It was full of an array of colorful flowers that were given to her by audiences. She smiled softly and changed to blue jeans and a simple white shirt. She walked out, remembering to close the door.

     She walks to the food tent, where the performers eat. It’s a little far but she doesn’t mind walking around on this cool starry night. As she walks, she wonders, will life always be like this? Making people happy but never really happy myself? Is it like this in all circuses? Or only at our circus; Circus of Scarlett?