Chapter II

Ciel’s POV

        My breath had quickened in anxiety, eyes flitting around nervously. My grip on Sebastian’s arm tightens, him sending me an amused glance. Damned butler-- he’s most likely enjoying this.

“How are you faring, Young Mistress?” He asks me quietly, a smirk pulling up the right side of his mouth.

“I am quite alright, thank you, Sebastian.” I snap, narrowing my eyes at him.

If I don’t calm myself my asthma may act up. Now would most certainly not be an acceptable time to leave myself vulnerable. I scowl and look around for something to ponder over, yet my efforts are futile.

“Sebastian,” I begin, “If you allow me to trip, I will have every single cat in your room removed.”

“...Yes, Milady.” He murmured, lips twitching down.

Imbecile.

Elizabeth strides past a side door towards us, a feat quite impressive considering the three inch heels she had decided to don. Paula had styled her hair into an elegant curly bun, leaving her cowlick out. Her dress reached her ankles, a champagne red in color with white and pink accents. She looks every bit like the woman she will be next month, her sixteenth year.

“Are you ready, Ciel?” She rests the palms of her hands atop of my shoulders, leaning forward a bit for her emerald eyes to meet my sapphire.

I nod mutely, breaking eye contact to look away. She would patronize me if I told her of my nervousness.

She smiles softly, “Let’s be on our way, then.”

Two servants open the doors for us as we near, an almost blinding light shining upon us. I nearly cringe as all eyes turn to us, knuckles turning white from my hold on Sebastian’s arm. We stop halfway down the staircase for Elizabeth to speak.

“Hello, everyone!” She calls, her voice echoing slightly around the ballroom, “As you all know, we are here to celebrate Countess Ciel Phantomhive’s fourteenth year. She would like to have a word, if you’d send your attention her way.”

Excuse me? God damn it, Lizzie!

“Ah, yes,” I begin clearly, forcing myself to smile towards the attendees, “Thank you all for coming, your camaraderie is truly...Heartwarming. Please, have an enjoyable time.”

I have half a mind to stab Elizabeth with the heel of my shoes. Some other time, perhaps.

The crowd hesitantly claps, unsure of what to make about my feminine form. We continue our descent into the crowd, a song arising from a piano.

“Seems you’ve caused quite a scandal, Milady.” Sebastian points out, gossip spilling out the lips of men and women like a vile liquid.

“Let them talk. They’ll shut up eventually.” I mutter, pointedly ignoring all the stares in my direction, “Go pour a drink for me.”

“Yes, Young Mistress.” He responds, swiftly walking away.

Enjoying the music of the piano, I close my eyes and sway slightly. As it comes to an end, I feel a tap on my shoulder. Looking up, I find a male around my age with platinum blonde hair and icy eyes. What strange coloring, it’s quite rare to find such a pale pigmented person in England.

“Hello! May I have this dance?” He asks cheerfully, eyes bright with mischief..

Before I could reply, he grabs my hands and pulls me into the crowd of dancing people. A new song is played violently on the piano, nothing quite like what I’ve ever heard before. The boy’s dancing is fast paced, causing me to struggle severely with keeping up. I’m wretched at dancing to begin with, these three inch heels aren’t helping any.

He suddenly twirls me, proceeding to make me fall into his arms in a deep dip. Grinning down at me, he helps me straighten up before returning back to the rapid steps of this strange dance. His giddy laughs fill the room, many criticizing eyes lain upon us.

“Who are you?” I ask breathlessly, narrowly avoiding stepping on his feet.

“Earl Alois Trancy, at your service!” He introduces, “And I already know who you are, Celine.”

My eyes widen, memories flitting through my mind. We abruptly stop dancing as the music ends, a harsh slamming of the keys.

"Happy Birthday, Celine." He kissed my hand, leaving me dumbstruck as he walked away.

I subconciously wipe my hand on the skirt of my dress before bringing it up to my lips.

“Mama,” A little girl began, “What would you have named me if I could’ve been a girl?”

The blonde smiled down at her child, “Celine, dear.”

Ciel looked up at her mother questionably, “Why Celine?”

“Because it means Heaven.”