Running and Escaping

I never knew what happened to Bree after the incident at the diner and sometimes I still remember about her and the times we shared together wondering if things went differently, would everything be the same. But sometimes I just feel happy that it had happened in the first place. Which seems absolutely crazy to say.

I was kept in a house right outside the city. There were trees surrounding the house and this made us invisible to the outside world. The main road leading to the city was pretty close since I could hear cars passing at every minute of the day. Wayne, my kidnapper, would go outside every hour and sit under the oak tree overlooking the house. You could see the surrounding of the house very clearly from that far away.

I know this, because he would let me sit on the porch while he was doing that ritual in the 3 days that we spend together. I guess he figured that I wouldn't be stupid enough to run away from him since he could catch me instantly.

The first day I was in the house, he locked me in a bedroom and tied my hands to the railing of the bed. I just sat down on the floor and thought about what he would do to me. Why was i here in the first place? Why did he shoot the cashier? Why did he answer the police call? Everything sure did have a reason, but we will get to that later on.

He brought me a glass of water and a bowl of cereal which didn't taste like anything and watched me eat it.

''Why did you kidnap me?'' He was confused when I spoke up but still went on to talk to me.

''When someone does you wrong, you have to show them that they can never do it again. You have to make them regret what they did, you know?'' he sighed, ''I'm Wayne.''

''I'm Quinn and I hope you would change your mind about, whatever you were talking about. Honestly, I would rather not be included in this.. whatever this is.''

''For a person whose life is dependent on me, you sure seem to be too chatty.'' he got the cereal bowl and the glass from my hand and left the room, locking the door behind him.

The room was very eery like the whole house, but it was more scary when he wasn't in the room with me, as weird as it sounds. I didn't like to be alone. I needed someone to keep me company. Now, that has changed a little. After all having blood sucking desires and fangs and super strength makes you a little bit more confident.

The second day I was with Wayne, someone came to the house to visit him. I didn't see who he was but his voice sounded old and wise. They talked for hours outside under the oak tree, sitting in chairs with their faces all blank and sometimes turning their face towards the porch to look at me. I didn't listen though, not that I could anyway. The old guy left around sunset and we returned back home for another cereal meal.

''Don't you have anything else to eat, other than this stale cereal? I see that you are eating the same shit so, I guess not?'' I questioned while we sat on the couch next to each other staring at the bowls in our hands. He made an unsatisfied face and walked away to the kitchen to return with a bag of apples.

''I was saving this for later but here you go. I really hate this too.'' He put down the cereal and we started silently eating apples and sat on the couch until I fell asleep.

The last day I was there I saw the backdoor of the house, totally unguarded by Wayne. He seemed to have some kind of trust in me now. We acted like, everything was fine and he just hadn't kidnapped me and shot a man dead. Was this what they called Stockholm Syndrome? When you have compassion for your kidnapper?

He never did something bad to me like beat me up or i don't know... throw me in a well and leave. He just took me to a house. This didn't mean I wanted to be there though. So I finally came up with a plan that I thought was perfectly okay.

I knew that the old man would come back to talk to Wayne around four and that they would sit there for ages talking about god knows what and in the meantime I could escape from the backdoor deep into the woods.

Basically my plan was just run away as fast as you can and hope for the best. And I did.

I broke the lock on the backdoor, and started sprinting after I told Wayne I was going back to the house to use the bathroom. I ran the fastest I ever did in my life that day and I don't think I can even run that fast with my vampire powers. Nah, who am I kidding I am basically Usain Bolt.

I don't know why but Wayne actually managed to catch up to me. Luckily I started climbing up a tree with the most branches that I could find so by the time he reached me, I was hidden behind leaves. He looked very angry as he turned back towards the house.

I had no idea what to do next. I didn't know where to go. So I started walking back, towards the city. Took me the whole day to get to the city centre and my house. That day, I packed all my essential things; clothes, my passport, some snacks for the road and anything in between. I took my luggage and drove to the airport. I told one of my friends from school to pick up the car from there and bring it back to my house.

I had forgotten about my graduation, my parents, my life. The only thing I could think about at that moment was for me to get out of here. My destination: New York.