CHAPTER TWO | THE CHINESE INTERNATIONAL OFFICE

The Chinese International Office was a large building with the name written in scripted font along the side of the building, both in Chinese and in English. It's big windows reflected the sky, making it seem like the building was just a large mirror. Two potted trees marked the entrance to the Office, alongside two security guards who gave Xiaoyu a narrowed look when she stepped out of the taxi.

"How long do you think you'll be here honey?" May called, leaning over the back of the taxi and holding the door open so she could talk to Xiaoyu who was out on the pavement.

Xiaoyu checked her phone; 10:24am. "I don't think too long." She replied with an accent and a small smile, hoping May could hear her over the roaring traffic of New York City. "I get to your apartment maybe..." she thought for a moment, "maybe I get there in hour?"

May nodded, grinning. "Sounds good hun, I'll see you then. Take care!" She smiled once more before swinging the taxi door shut. The taxi sped off, it's yellow sides flashing in the sunlight before disappearing round a corner.

Xiaoyu stood still for a few moments before checking her phone again. No missed calls. No messages. Good. She didn't need anything distracting her while she was in the Chinese International Office. She needed to be clear headed. No doubt they would ask questions about her family, and she needed her answers to be as clear as possible: Xiaoyu had a tendency to get flustered.

Slipping her phone into her shoulder bag, she walked inside the building, looking down at her feet so she wouldn't curiously sneak a glance at the two guards, who emitted a type of intimidating vibe that would only worry her more.

"你好," she greeted the woman at the desk, her fingers playing with the straps of her bag. "I think I'm expected."

"Name?" The woman asked, not looking up from her computer screen.

"Zhang Xiaoyu." She replied, trying for a smile.

The woman looked up from her computer, fingers momentarily pausing, hovering above the keyboard of her computer. Her dark eyes scanned Xiaoyu's with a mixed expression in their depths, something between curiousity and scorn. Xiaoyu didn't know, but she assumed this was someone familiar with her family, or else she wouldn't have spared Xiaoyu a look.

"Room Eight," the woman finally said, looking back at her computer, "Second floor, first door on the left."

Her eyes flickering over to the gilded elevator on the right side of the building, she nodded. "谢谢," she thanked the woman breathlessly and bowed slightly once more, slipping from the desk to make her way over to the elevator.