Chapter 29

>Quinn’s dreams<

           Quinn ran through the forest. A couple men crashed behind her. Her simple peasant’s dress caught on a tree. She tugged it loose, and continued on. The young girl fell over a root. She tried to scramble to her feet, but the men caught her. They shoved Quinn back to the ground, before lifting her. They held Quinn between them. Soldiers. The commander stood in front of her. “Do you know the law for stealing, girl?” She shook her head “no.’ But, honestly, everyone knew that stupid rule. “The price for theft is the loss of a hand.”

        “Please, good sir, I didn’t steal anything.” She begged.

        “The baker told us you stole his bread. You ran when we chased you. That isn’t how a innocent person acts,” he sneered.

       “Please, sir, anyone in their right mind would run,” Quinn pleaded.

       “Check her bag,” he ordered two soldiers. They tore her bag away. Dumping the contents, two loaves of bread fell out.

       “How’d that get there?” She mused sarcastically.

       “Off with her hand.” The two soldiers shoved her onto her knees. The held her wrist against a raised tree roots. The commander drew a knife. The young girl struggled but the soldiers held her tight. He stroked the blade lovingly. She pulled away, but they held her still. He prepared the knife.

        “You’re going to regret coming after me. You’ll see,’’ she sneered. But, honestly she was powerless against these soldiers. Or so everyone thought. Deep inside power was brewing. It had been there all along, but the anger made it grow. The guards looked curiously on as her eyes turned violet. One of the guards flew back. Quinn herself was surprised. It could be sorcery. She stood up as the rest of the men went flying away. Quinn backed against a tree holding the knife that the commander had been holding. She brandished it in front of her. She had never even held a knife before. A lady stepped out of the trees. She wore a black cape, and a dark blue dress. Her hair was black and pulled into an elaborate braid. Most curiously her eyes were black as night.  “What did you do?” Quinn hissed as she squeezed closer into the tree. The women laughed quietly. 

         “Well that’s very brave. I am Miranda. It’s not what I did, but what you did.” 

        “I didn’t do a thing,” the young girl replied fiercely without offering her own name.

       “Oh yes you did,” she chuckled. “There is a magic deep within you. You released it. This isn’t the time for bickering. You must leave for the kingdom of Algernon. There you will find an old woman named Marie. She had instruction from me to take you in. You must flee from the people here for they believe you to be a witch. That is illegal as you may know. You have a strange ability that hasn’t gone unnoticed. That’s why these men chase you. You can’t go to that cave you call home. I have clothes you will put on, and weapons to protect you.” The women gave her jeans, a black shirt, and knee high leather boots. Then she gave Quinn two swords, and a harness to which they fit. The women helped her put the harness on. Then Miranda took off her cloak and fixed it upon Quinn. Next, Miranda handed her a black mask. Quinn gave a questioning look. Miranda whispered hurried words in a language that Quinn didn’t understand. Quinn’s face froze, as did the rest of her body. “This spell had frozen you so you will listen to me. You will go to Algernon. You will find Marie. My next spells are coming. One will give you strength, agility, and weapon mastery. The other will implement fake memories of times you learned to fight. It will steal the memory of our meeting and these spells. Good luck Aspasia!”