Chapter 15 - There's a First for Everything

For some strange reason Sesshomaru could have felt a slight smile forming on the corners of his lips as he sat listening to Hana. He had to stop himself. The way she would become easily on edge whenever she was near him was slightly amusing.

She had finally remembered what had taken place on the last night that she had been under that sorceress’s control, which meant that she probably had remembered most everything. That would have explained why her face was so pink when she had approached him – she wasn’t very skilled at hiding her emotions. He hoped that he wouldn’t have to tell her that, to him, that kiss had meant almost nothing – he had only done it to free her, or at least that was what he had convinced himself to think.

Nevertheless, Sesshomaru did not mind Hana’s company tonight; it didn’t bother him in the least. If her sitting next to him made her happy, then so be it.

As he gazed up at the midnight moon, Sesshomaru’s keen hearing picked up what he believed to be a whisper of his name coming from the girl sitting next to him.

“Lord Sesshomaru, what is your opinion on…love?” The last word would have been barely audible to human ears.

Hana’s boldness never failed to startle the dog demon a little every time. Though she appeared coy and anxious most of the time, Hana was quite intrepid when it came to talking to him – most of the time at least.

He looked down at her. She had brought her knees up under her chin and looked down so that her white hair draped down the sides of her face, preventing Sesshomaru from seeing her sheepish expression. He hadn’t even noticed before that she had never put her hair back how she used to have it, in a braid down her back.
It was evident that Hana was pondering something. Wondering what that thing could have been, he answered her as honestly as he could.

“I believe love to be but a mere pitiable affection created by humans………a waste of time,” he paused, “Why do you ask?”

She lifted her head to briefly look up at him, and then looked back down at the ground.

“I – well, I guess I was just curious as to what your opinion was.
So you don’t believe that your opinion could ever change? I mean, things can change, even for someone such as you. There’s a first for everything…… even love. I hadn’t ever thought that I would’ve had my first kiss, but you – um, forgive me for rambling.” She turned her head away from him, obviously blushing.

“Hana,” he addressed her, causing her to slowly look back up at him. “If you’re trying to say something, then you should.”
Sesshomaru tried his hardest not to sound intimidating for that wasn’t what he was intending to do. Hana’s questioning wasn’t bothering him just yet, and he wanted to know if she really was trying to say something. There was something about the girl that intrigued him, so to speak, and he didn’t know what could possibly have compelled him to think in such a way, but he did.

For once, the sound of Lord Sesshomaru talking to her didn’t make Hana nervous. He spoke to her in a soft and gentle tone. She supposed that now was her chance to tell him.

“Well, what I’m trying to say is…well...I…love you, Lord Sesshomaru,” as she uttered the words, Hana recalled an achingly familiar nightmare of Sesshomaru walking away from her – rejecting her – as she had spoken those exact words to him. She took a quick glance beside her; he was still sitting there, his eyes watching her keenly. Though this relieved her, it also made her a bit uneasy. She wondered what he was thinking. Seeing as he didn’t reply – of course he wouldn’t – Hana continued: