Chapter 6

"So, how was last night?" Marinette teased.

Alya didn't take the bait. "Fine. Oh, look, is that Adrien?"

"A-Adrien? Where?" Marinette frantically scanned the room and Alya laughed.

"Girl, relax. You know that we're in the girls' locker room, right?"

"Oh, right." Marinette sat down on the bench with a sigh. "I just wish I could actually talk to him without getting so nervous."

"I can help you with that!"

"Oh, no!" Marinette protested. "I think we both know that this will just end with me humiliating myself! What if he thinks I'm crazy? What if he never talks to me again? What if he moves to Antarctica to avoid me!?"

"Girl, relax."

Marinette opened her mouth, but before she could say anything, someone came up behind them.

"Hey Marinette, Alya!"

"Hey, Adrien!" Alya said. She nudged Marinette.

"I-uh-hi!"

Alya facepalmed.

"So what about that big superhero battle last week? What did you two think of that?"

"Uh-ah-cool! It was cool!" Said Marinette.

"Definitely." Adrien agreed. He turned his back on Marinette and faced Alya. A hurt expression flickered over Marinette's face, but he didn't notice. "What do you think, Alya?"

"I think it was pretty cool too," Alya said. "Marinette and I love to watch the superheroes. In fact, Marinette loves to talk about superheros!"

"I do?" Marinette squeaked. "I mean, I do!"

"That's great!" Adrien said enthusiastically. "Who's your favorite superhero, Alya?"

Marinette glared at his back.

"Um, Ladybug." Alya said, uncomfortable. "What do you think, Marinette?"

"What do you think of Carapace?" Adrien said before Marinette could answer.

Alya crossed her arms. "Fine. Look, if you're just going to interrupt us..."

Adrien had the decency to blush. "I'm really sorry. I guess I was just overexcited."

"About what?" Marinette asked, sans stammer.

"Well... superheroes, I guess. Who's your favorite, Marinette?"

"I like them all," she replied, "Rena Rouge is so cool, and Carapace is always so calm, and, well, I think that Ladybug always tries her best even when it doesn't work out."

"Ladybug is great!" Adrien said. "Her ideas always work out!"

"Sometimes." Marinette muttered.

"What about Chat Noir?" Adrien asked. "What do you think of him?"

"I-well, he seems like a handful. But he's also very loyal and brave."

"I agree." Adrien said. "He seems like a good guy."

Mme Bustier walked in and called "take your seats, class!"

All during attendance, Marinette doodled pictures of the superheroes and what she assumed their kwamis would look like.

For Chat's kwamii, she drew a little black and grey cat with long fur and a tiny collar. Rena's kwamii she imagined as a red fox, and Carapace's was a turtle with a shell made of gleaming jade.