Chapter 32

Peter's point of view:

After sifting through the books and blueprints that we got from the library for hours, I can barely keep my eyes open. Adam told me to look through them to see if anything could aid us in the plan, but I didn't find much. Only a couple of books on the basic mechanics of explosives. I wander into my tent and plop down onto my sleeping bag, falling asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. I could use a good night's sleep anyway.

***********************

"Peter?" I hear a voice say. I turn around and take in my surroundings, only to see that I'm trapped in some kind of steel compartment. "Peter? Can you hear me?" That voice says again. I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn around, only to see Julia staring up at me. "Julia?!" I half ask half scream. Without thinking twice, I enfold her into a hug. It is only when I her grunt in pain that I let her go. "Are you alright?" I ask alarmed, seeing a collection of bruises all along her arms and legs. "I'm fine, they're just from trying to break out," she explains. Remembering now that I fell asleep in a tent in the woods before I got here, I drop my head in disappointment. "This is all a dream, isn't it? You're not really here," I say glumly. "Look at me Peter," she says, cupping my face in her hands. "No I'm not really here, but I am really speaking to you. I'm using the power of dreams," she says. "How? I thought the cells were power-proof, and I didn't think you had learned that power yet," I question. "The cells only resist your power when you try to escape. Using powers of the mind for leisure is quiet easy, in fact. And no, I hadn't officially learned the power yet, but having nothing to do actually gives you a lot of things you can do. I've figured out how to talk to you all through dreams," Julia tells me. "That's genius," I praise. She smiles and blushes, but then her face turns serious as she forms a question. "So what's going on? What are you guys planning? I've tried talking to Adam in his dreams to ask if you guys were planning on another rescue mission, but I can only talk to someone when they fall asleep with a clear mind. He's too focused on something to allow me to talk to him. I was hoping it was a rescue plan, but I didn't want to get my hopes up in case it wasn't," she explains. "Take it from me, I don't think Adam will have a clear head for a long time; he's been keeping himself really busy with, yes in fact, a rescue plan," I tell her. Julia's face breaks out into a smile and her green eyes light up, excited that she'll be getting out. "Thank heaven! I knew you guys would think of something!" She says, relieved. "You have to act soon though. They're going to kill me in-" "Yes, eight days, don't remind me," I cut her off, for discussing the matter of her being killed brings me immeasurable pain. "What Adam is planning to do is somehow get the two sides to work together, bomb the wall, and then all of the citizens rush to headquarters just in time. The mass of people will distract the Council, and I can free you then," I explain. Confusion plastered on her face, she says, "It's a great plan, but how on Earth does he plan to get the two sides to work together?" "I don't know, but it's worth a try. It's all we've got in hopes of getting you out of here," I say, gesturing to the cell we're in. "Yeah," she says, her voice becoming sad. "You have no idea what it's like to be in here. I spend my days huddled up in a corner with my eyes squeezed shut, trying to picture someplace better. They feed me 'soup' once a day, although potato water suits it better, along with some stale bread and a cup of water. It's repulsive, but it's bearable," she explains. Then, she comes forward and wraps her arms around my neck, and my arms go around her waist in response. "I miss you. All of you really. You have no idea how lonely this place is," she says. I release my arms and instead cup her face in my hands so she can look up at me, her lip quivering as she tries not to cry. "Hey, listen to me. You're going to be alright; it's not going to be for much longer. I promise, Julia," I vow. Then, I lean in and kiss her, and even though she's not technically here, I've never felt closer to her before. When we break apart, she says, "I'm out of time. I have to end the dream now." "What? Why?" I question, not ready to let her go. "I'm new to this power, so I can't control it in longer periods of time. Don't worry though, I can talk to you again the next time you fall asleep," she says. Suddenly, the walls around us begin to disappear, and Julia begins to fade from my vision. "What's happening?" I ask, already missing her closeness. "You're waking up," she says, her voice beginning to fade. "But I don't want to leave you! Come back!" I plead, my voice beginning to break. "I will see you again. It will be ok," is the last thing she says before she completely disappears.

And then, I wake up missing her more than I ever thought possible.