Epilogue

South of Weymouth, on the edge of the Isle of Portland, a red and white striped lighthouse stands solitary. Choppy waves crash against the rocks underneath it and a sharp breeze hangs in the air. Next to the lighthouse is a small cottage. It's walls are white and the dark roof is thatched. Inside it's cosy, decorated with soft carpets and floral curtains.

A fire is burning in a black stove in the kitchen. Eric stands by the marbled work top, smiling as he watches his family. Gerald is sat at the round wooden table in the middle of the room holding a small baby on his knee. Gerald is smiling down at her, making silly faces which makes her laugh. Her laugh is like a gargle and her tiny tongue sticks out. She's wearing a white dress trimmed with lace and a matching bonnet is tied under her chin.

On the table an opened letter invites Gerald and Eric to the wedding of Sheila and George in the summer.

Eric turns around and faces out of the window at the sea. The skies are blue and clear, making the grass look greener than it is. Noisy seagulls fly around the cliff edge in search for food. It's peaceful here. There's no one around for miles. The air is fresh and there's so much land to run and jump and be free on.