13-Ultear, My Big Sister

Once I got back, I decided to open the letter. I avoided everyone and got to my dorm, clutching the letter in my hand like it was going to disappear if I hadn't. 

I sat down at the edge of my bed and opened it. The letter looked new and the writing seemed like it was written by someone with unstable writing. 

Dear Y/N, it said, I wish I had more time with you than we did. You can probably guess who the old woman was that handed you the letter.

No, I thought, it can't be her. She can't be that woman. I scanned the letter.

Well, you were the cutest child I've ever seen. Your eyes reminded me of miniature suns, hot and fiery, but your personality was more sweet and kind. I never thought I'll see you again after we got separated. I'm glad we did, even though it was Grimoire Heart.

I remembered seeing you in the cave, all alone and hungry. I couldn't leave you there, can't I? I knew you'll never listen to me if I told you to join Grimoire Heart. So I washed your memories away, making sure you'll believe whatever I say. You believed me, and that was my deepest regret.

"Oh, Ultear," I said, crying, "I would never criticize you for what you did."

Nevertheless, I watched you while you were part of the guild. I can tell that you could never be evil as long as you lived. You were far too kind and trusting to do any evil crime, unlike me. You reminded me of our mother, Ur, as you were both women who were always fair and just. You both valued peace and wisdom. I lacked that quality.

I knew that as long as you lived, you'll always bear the quality of a Fairy Tail wizard, someone who is caring and loving with friends and family. I knew that we had to separate to our own paths at some point, so I chose the time, which is when I told we had to separate at Tenrou.

I'm sorry we couldn't have more time together after that. Gray told me you were on a decade quest during the Grand Magic Games. I thought about you the whole time, wishing I could've done our past differently. I knew that wherever you were, you were doing great and having a good time with friends. I'm glad about that.

I saw everyone was dying around me. I wanted to kill a man for no reason. No Reason. I know, I haven't changed a bit. So I used my Last Ages spell to give everyone time.

Why, I thought, why would you let yourself go out like that?

So, remember, wherever you go, I'll always be with you. Your friends will be there. Even though you lost your biological family, you haven't lost your Fairy Tail family. And that's the one that is the most important.

Your dearest sister, the one who never deserved your attention,

Ultear Milkovich

I stared at the paper, which had gotten wet from my tears. "Ultear," I mumbled, "why? Why would you do that to me and everyone else? I knew we cared for you!"

"Ultear, Ultear, ULTEAR!" I screamed. Then I buried my head in my arms, sobbing really hard. 

Why, why, why, would she abandon me?

I cried for about two hours until I had no more tears anymore. I just sat there, not feeling or doing anything.

My older sister. My only family left, and she's...she's as good as dead.

"Please, come back," I muttered, "please Ultear. I don't want you to die. Come back. COME BACK!"

I pounded my fist on the bed, not being able to cry and wishing I could. Ultear, please.

I thought about our last moment. She and I were standing at the beach of Tenrou. She smiled. 

"So I have to do this alone?" I asked.

"Yeah, but don't worry, I'll always be with you."

I remembered when she first found me shivering in the snow and clinging to hope. Someone, I thought, save me.

Then she found me. Ultear's eyes brimmed with tears and said, "let's go home, sister. I finally found you again."

I stood up, brushing tears from my face. "Ultear," I said, "I'll live for you. Forever."

I went to the door, leaving the letter and my tears behind.