A Letter of Despondence

It was your birthday and I’d been away, out of town, for the day. I know you were annoyed, for, there was no call from you, not even a text. I would have been worried if I wasn’t aware of your insides; knew you wanted me to miss you. I came back in town a couple of hours before midnight and thought it’d be a good time to surprise you, though I was late. On the way I had picked up a bunch of your favourite white tulips, all adorned with confetti, thinking of the look you’d wear every time you saw these flowers. Everything was just fine.

The gravel on the driveway paved way for the Chevy’s tyres. An orange glow emitted from behind the curtains, I knew you’d be awake, waiting for me! As I parked the car a couple of yards back, I saw a shadow sweeping across the room and I knew it was you, for, how could I forget the silhouette of a woman whom I had held so close to myself for as long as I could remember. I moved towards the door and as a reassurance, peeped through the window. To my horror and surprise, the sight was something I had never expected to see. There was that guy, I do not know who he is or how long have you been with him, but there he was, bent over you, kissing on the lips which had always appeared so delicate and fragile to me that I had sometimes feared of hurting you if I kissed them a bit passionately. I thought of barging in but then, the laughter which escaped your lips and dissolved magically into the air, rooted me to the spot.

“The laughter which escaped your lips and dissolved magically”

I do not know how I got back home that night, but amidst the haze and gloominess, the sound of your laughter echoed in my mind, resonating again and again. You were happy, much happier than you were with me. I let it be the way you wanted it to be, I had asked no questions and never would I. I had left the tulips at your doorstep that night, and am leaving this note in another bunch tonight. This would be my last interaction with you, ever! Don’t follow me back for I would be long gone by then, don’t wait for me any more, for I am moving to a place from where there’s no turning back. I just want you to know that I had always been there for you, and had loved you more than anything in this world. Promise me to take care of yourself, promise you’ll move on and would not get caught in the clutches of pain and sorrow.

As a final word,

Good-Bye!

Yours Forever!