You'll Regret it

Gilbert was in a particularly bad mood today. He felt overwhelmed and he missed his father dearly. He decided he was going to leave Avonlea, just for a little while.

Gilbert was at the store when he felt eyes burning on him. He turned a little and saw Matthew Cuthbert walking up to him.

"Hello Gilbert," said Matthew.

"Good day, Mr. Cuthbert." Gilbert was not in the mood to talk. But Mr. Cuthbert kept standing there. "So, uh... bit of a cold snap, eh?"

"True enough." Gilbert was definitely not in the mood to talk. But Mr. Cuthbert still stood there.

"Uh, the other day at the, um..." Great, Gilbert did not want to remember his father's death even more, but now he did. Gilbert then felt a feeling rush over him. A feeling of sadness and he began to blink rapidly, trying not to cry. He looked at Matthew for a moment and then looked back away. "Uh, I-I noticed that you had to leave a couple fields go fallow." Said Matthew, nervously. Really? This is what he wanted to talk about? He felt even worse about leaving, and his father just died.

Gilbert felt an annoyance build up in him, but he kept being polite. "I haven't decided yet." Gilbert let out a heavy breath.

"I'm sorry?" Matthew asked. Didn't Gilbert just tell him? He didn't decide yet.

"I'll let you know if I'm going to sell." Gilbert bowed his head and went back to looking at the shelf.

"Oooh. No, no. No, I just, um.." Matthew walked towards Gilbert and he stepped back. "I um- I only wanted you to know that me and my hand Jerry, we'd be real happy to help out." Gilbert was surprised and he raised his eyebrows. He didn't expect Matthew to say this. "We'll come over in the spring, if you like," Matthew continued, "Get you back up and running." Gilbert nodded at this statement, processing it all.

"That's very kind." Gilbert felt the annoyance disappear and he was filled with warmth. Gilbert hesitated for a moment, thinking about if he should say this, but he did anyway. "Truth is, uh... I never really wanted to be a farmer." Gilbert felt a relief with telling this to Matthew. Matthew furrowed his eyebrows in surprise. He didn't say anything. "Well, I'd best get to it." Said Gilbert, breaking the awkwardness. He gave a nod to Matthew, saying goodbye. After Mr. Cuthbert walked away, Gilbert turned his head a little, watching him leave with the corner of his eye.

Gilbert was on his way home when he suddenly heard, "Hey, Gilbert!" Ugh. It was Billy Andrews. Gilbert didn't say anything and kept walking, but Billy started walking next to him. "How's it going, Blythe?" Gilbert could already feel his IQ level going down. "Fine." He said, not wanting to talk.

"You've got to come back to school, bud. That ugly orphan's out of control." Gilbert could not believe what was coming out of Billy's mouth, but it WAS Billy Andrews. "What do you care?" Gilbert felt irritated. "We need a guy to show her she's not so smart." Gilbert felt the anger build up in him. Really? "She's smart, deal with it."

"Why you gotta like that, bud?" Billy chuckled. But it wasn't funny to Gilbert. Gilbert shook his head. "Why don't you bust out a book and take care of it yourself?" There's a solution, Gilbert thought.

"Yeah, right. Good one bud." Billy said. So, Billy doesn't want to even try? Really?

"I'll you a tip, ok?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm not your bud." Gilbert was getting mad. "Yeah, right." Billy chucked again.

"And if you ever hassle Anne again, you'll regret it." Even with what Anne said and did, Gilbert still cared for her, a lot.

"Yeah, right." Billy said. Is "Yeah" all that Billy knows how to say?

"Yeah, right."

"What's your problem?" Asked Billy. Is he serious right now? "Ask me that again," Threatened Gilbert. "No, seriously. Go ahead."

"Why you gotta be like that?" Billy was only joking around.

"Ask me!" Gilbert really wanted him to.

"Come on, bud. I don't get you. Seriously, what's your problem?" Okay. Gilbert was done. Gilbert threw his bag of things at Billy and Billy was confused for a moment.

Gilbert then punched him. He was done with Billy. Billy talked Gilbert to the ground and threw a couple punches at him. Gilbert got on tp of him and punched him once again and got up. Gilbert did an intimidation scare and then left, with a bruised eye.