Chapter Three|

Chapter Three|

Dear Hale,

Tell me more about you. Anything. Tell me what triggers these thoughts the worst. Tell me what makes them subside for a short while. Tell me what helps them, what stops them. Tell me anything that will help you. I'm just trying to help you, but I don't know how to. I need you to help me too.

-Spotlight

HE was a beautiful mess. His hair was messy and wet with sweat as he took off the helmet, baring his unruly chestnut hair to the crowd. His eyes held a sparkle that he only had after a game. A smile was blooming on his lips as his teammates patted him on the back for scoring the winning touchdown. Jasper Allen was put on this planet to torment Willow, he was there merely to wreck her heart because she knew she could never have him. Her fingers lingered on her phones keyboard as she sent the new email to Hale. An arm wrapped around her shoulders and she tore her eyes off of Jasper, and up to Tate.

"Ready to go?" He asked.

"I'm riding with you," Willow asked skeptically. She'd rode with Tate a few times, but he was scary driver. He often forgot the speed limit and how to drive straight, she wondered how he even managed to get a license.

"Yup," He popped the p. "Aids and Emmy want some alone time." He made sure to add in a wink. "But don't worry you get shot gun, sweetheart." Evan growled in annoyance at the new knowledge and Aiden smacked his friend in the arm at the mention of Tate's choice of nickname. She shrugged and stood up deciding Tate's driving was not the worst way to die. It would hopefully be as fast as he drove. He lifted her up by the waist, throwing her over his shoulder. Willow let out a startled yelp.

"Be careful!" Aiden yelled. "She's fragile!" Tate ran with her making her erupt in laughter. Tate and her were by far closer than her and Evan. She felt like she could tell him anything. As if, the world had specifically put him in her life to make high school more comfortable. He was attractive too shaggy blonde hair that curled just above his eyes. She, however couldn't see him in that way. There was never a dull moment with Tate, and she was glad because it made her stress just a little more liveable. He threw her into the passenger seat as gentle as he could, and she laughed as he attempted to climb over her lap into the driver's seat.

"Tate!" She screamed as she watched her friends climbing into different cars. Her entire body tensed when she saw Jasper climbing into his jeep, Angela trailing after him. She couldn't hear the words being exchanged but Angela had a flirtatious smile that sent a chill down Willow's spine.

"You okay?" Tate asked.

"Fine," She replied looking back out the window. "Great, actually."

Port Diner was a small retro looking diner that served a lot of seafood and milkshakes. It shouldn't be such an amazing combination, but it was. It was the school's favorite hangout, and whever anyone went anywhere to eat it was there. Lights glimmered as some of the football team, cheerleading team, and less athletic members of Rockport High took a seat at the biggest booth there was. Evan and Tate just grabbed chairs from other tables and put more tables together to make sure there were enough seats around for the students. Angela and Jasper entered together, but there was anger evident on his face. She attempted to stop him from walking, but he reached the table before she could. He slid into the booth, and just as she went to slide in next to him-he gave Willow a pleading gaze. She sighed and slid into the seat beside him. Angela froze a dirty look falling on her face, and a remark about to leave her mouth.

"Don't," Jasper hissed. "I wanted her to." She stomped her foot before sitting beside one of her friends Nicole. At the table there was Nicole, Angela, Aiden, Emily, Evan, Tate, Jasper, Ariana, Freya, Nick, Alexander, and Willow. The table buzzed with conversation about the game, and Jasper and Willow simply sat in silence. "How'd you like the game?" He eventually asked.

"It was really good," Willow admitted. She'd always been a sports fan. Her and her father used to watch the superbowl every Sunday until he passed. They'd gone to all different sports games, and that's how she fell in love with soccer. She played for an indoor league during the winter. "You play a really good running back. I didn't think you were going to get the last touchdown since one of the linebackers were so close, but it was a really good layout plan." He smiled widely.

"I forgot how interested you are with sports," He chuckled. "Do you still watch football all the time?"

"Definitely it's not the same since dad's gone of course," She replied. "And it's different because your mother and mine-" He shifted awkwardly in the seat. "Right, sorry."

"Don't worry about it," He said. "It's just different. I mean, I never see her anymore but she's right in the same place I last saw her. Listen, I'm sorry for stopping talking to you."

"I get it," She whispered. "We were really good friends, but then your parents...anyway it was weird to be around me with her in the house." He nodded.

"Are you going to watch the Black Bears play Friday?" He asked.

"I would," She said. "But American Idol is on, mom calls the TV's on Friday's."

"I have tickets," He said. "Two, and I needed someone to go with. I miss hanging out with you, Will. You wanna go?" Willow could feel her heartbeat pound. It was as if the entire table went silent, and Angela's eyes were clearly boring into Willow's soul. Emily looked like she was going to jump out of her seat smiling in happiness. This isn't a date. Keep it together Willow.

"Sounds like it'd be fun," Willow smiled. "Thanks, Jasper." She could barely speak to her past best friend without making a fool out of herself, but sports was second nature to her. Maybe it would be easier to fend through her awkward nature. She felt her phone buzz and she looked down to meet the awaiting email on her phone. She ignored it until she could find time to reply and continued on until the waitress came. She had never been so easily pleased by a night before. She was beginning to feel hope for the first time ever in being with Jasper. Maybe she wasn't so far out of his league as she'd thought.