Chapter 1: Lost

It had been almost two months since the out break, and Y/n was far from Atlanta. She was still lost, her heart longed to be with those she considered family again. Except Abby. 'That bitch' y/n thought. After 17 years of friendship, y/n never thought that Abby would let her die. 

Y/n walked through the woods, killing a walker or two every now and then, shooting a squirrel every time she saw one. She needed to find a shelter, a base she could reinforce, a place she could feel safe. But you had been searching for a couple months, and your hope was like a candle flame.

Flickering.. beginning to burn out. But with every ounce of energy it had left, it kept burning.

Y/n kept walking through the shrubs of the forest, the trees looming over head. Y/n heard groaning behind her and she turned around to see a walker approaching her painfully slow. The walker had chunks of flesh hanging from its rotting face, the flesh that once covered the stomach had been eaten. Along with the actual stomach.

Y/n sighed and pulled out an arrow from her quiver and aimed the arrow with her bow, shooting the walker between the eyes and through its head. Y/n cautiously stepped towards the walker, pulling a knife from her thigh and stabbing it in the head. Just to be sure.

Y/n pulled out the arrow and wiped the blood on her sweat pants, chuckling. "Even if I let you eat me, which would never happen by the way, you wouldn't  even be able to digest me you dumb fuck." Y/n nudged the walker with her foot, and walked away.

*timeskip*

Y/n had climbed up into a tree canopy, making some kind of nest within the branches. You had a small bag with you, and in that bag you had a journal, along with other supplies. But in that journal you kept track of how many days have passed, and wrote down what you experienced that day. You knew it was more like a diary than a journal, but you didn't care. It was the end of the world after all. And those you cared about were presumably dead. So they'd never know.

You pulled out a pencil, and started writing down what you did. Writing was all that kept you from snapping and going crazy back then; it still was in fact.

April 16, 2017

Today was just like the last. Hard and unbearable. Some days I wonder why I still try. Everyone I've ever loved is dead (except Abby, I hope she's dead), so there's no reason to keep going. Anyway, I have been wondering through these woods for weeks and still no sign of a cabin or somewhere safe, so I've been copying that sloth thing. Sleep in trees. Great.

I still don't like the spiders I sometimes find on my ass when I wake up, but that's fine. Weird, but fine.

In about two weeks, it'll be Kaden and I's birthday. And a shitty one at that. Then three weeks later, Daryl's birthday. Damn, it'll be the first time I'm not there for his birthday. But I assume he's dead, so it doesn't really matter anyway. I just miss them. So much...

The days are getting longer, so that means summer is approaching soon. That's means it'll be hotter, and the threat of heat stroke is high. But I'll be fine.

I'm still searching for a group, food or a home, but I get the feeling I'm getting closer. But farther as well...

Y/n closed her diary-journal thing and fell asleep in the trees. The cool night air feeling nice against her skin.

Kaden sat on the cliff that looked over the lake at the quarry, his long blonde hair flowing in the cool night's breeze as he looked out at the moon as the light shone on the water. Even though he knew y/n was dead, he couldn't get over the fact that his little sister had died. His heart broke into small shards, the guilt of not being able to do anything slowly killing his will to live. He had lost the most important person in his life, after all.

Daryl marched up to Kaden and sat beside him, watching the moon glow over the water. There was a comfortable silence as the two men breathed in the not-so-humid nighttime air. Daryl took a glance at Kaden, and tears were streaming down his face like waterfalls. Kaden took the news of losing his sister quite rough, and Abby had tried to help him feel better. She even started dating him.

Daryl rubbed the back of his neck, clearing his throat. Daryl knew Kaden had things in his mind that he needed to say, so Daryl decided to wait for Kaden to feel comfortable. They never had a close relationship, but they were friends nonetheless.

"So... how're ya holdin' up, Kaden?" Daryl asked Kaden, turning his attention to the blonde boy. Kaden Looked at Daryl, his long wavy hair moving with with his head. Kaden looked away, tears still streaming down his face.

"She loved the moon..."
"I know she did... y/n and I have seen a  view like this plenty of times."
"She also loved the water." Kaden's body shook as he silently cried. Daryl patted his back, not used to having to comfort anyone. Other than you that is, but he kept that to himself.

"She loved how the moonlight was; peaceful and timid. Unlike the sun. And she loved how water could take the shape of anything. Could fill any hole, and wound. She was always interested about the moon and water; how they always seemed to have a perfect balance." Kaden lowered his head, his tears dripping onto his shirt and pants.

Daryl sighed, remembering the times with you. You and him were very close, like you and Abby close. Maybe even closer.

"You know, Daryl. I guess I can tell you, since she is dead. I'm pretty sure she won't mind." Kaden looked at Daryl, who had a a quizzical look on his face. "What do ya need to tell me..?" Daryl's blue icy eyes pierced Kaden's lime ones, making Kaden fumble with his hands.

"Umm, maybe I shouldn't tell you. She might come back and haunt me." Kaden and Daryl chuckled, the mood lighting up slightly. "Well now you have to tell me, because now I'm interested!" Daryl tossed back, chuckling turning into laughter. "Alright, alright I'll tell you! But if she comes back and haunts me, I'll know who to blame!" Kaden smiles, his laughter calming down.

Kaden sighed and looked at the water in the quarry, the moonlight glimmering over the water and Daryl's anticipation killing him. Kaden chuckles, still looking at the water.

"Y/n liked you." Kaden finally said, the anticipation in the air fading. Daryl was stunned, he wasn't really expecting this.

"...what..?" Daryl looked at Kaden with wide eyes. Was there flirtatious banter between you? Yes there was, Daryl just never thought that you returned his feelings as well.

Kaden giggled, amused by the redneck's reaction. He let out a long sigh, still gazing at the water.

"Yep. She did. Only reason I know is because I caught her masturbating once and she moaned your name."
"Jesus- EVEN THOUGH SHE IS DEAD I DON'T NEED TO KNOW THAT, KADEN!" Heat rushed to Daryl's cheeks, making them red and hot.

Kaden burst out laughing, loving Daryl's shocked (and slightly embarrassed) face.

Kaden patted Daryl's arm and stood. "Just thought that I should tell you that she liked ya too. Too bad, I could've been an uncle." Kaden chuckled and walked away, leaving an embarrassed, red faced Daryl behind him. Daryl grumbled "fuck you" and looked back at the glistening water.

Daryl sighed, looking up at the stars. "I know you're not dead. And I know asking this this is a little bit of a stretch, but please.. find us soon, or I'll have to find you."

Daryl's said, looking up at the stars. He really missed you, and with you plaguing his mind, it made everything that much harder.