2. Jesus is Always the Answer

S T E L L A

"Maybe instead writing 'Jesus' in every blank, we could figure out the real solution?"

"But Jesus is always the answer." 

The classroom with filled mostly with sleeping football boys, preps on their phones, and gum-snapping cheerleaders. I didn't mind since it was a lot quieter than I expected it to be. The occasional paper airplane was thrown across the room and there was people drawing on sleeping faces. I was stuck on one football boy, Tyler, with a British Literature worksheet filled with 'jesus' in every space. It was a rough start, but this was a good way to build up my patience.

"Well," I pull a chair up next to Tyler, sitting with the backing between my legs as I leaned my elbows against the backrest, "I think Mrs. Richard's is atheist, so maybe it isn't really the correct answer for her."

"Oh." He nods slowly, but stops all together before looking me dead in the eyes. 

"What's an atheist?"

I hold it all together without losing my collectivity, but I was luckily cut off before I had to explain.

"Good afternoon, darlings." I hear the door open forcefully as all eyes in the room became attentive. Two tall boys waltzed in, one looked like he owned the place while the other just came in with dread. 

Oh god. It's them.

"Well look at this good looking bunch." Calum smiles as his eyes scan the room at most of his friends, nearly faltering as they land upon me. "Oh, hello Stella. Odd finding you here. What a pleasant surprise."

I roll my eyes, looking over as Luke stands next to him, leaning against an empty desk as he toyed with his lip piercing. He looked nervous

"This is my class." I slowly guide my words back at Calum.

"It was a joke, sweetie." Calum tilts his head, leaning his weight on his hands that were positioned firmly on the desk in front of Tyler and I.

"You're a fucking joke." I mutter as only Tyler was able to hear me. He laughed to himself, side eyeing me before he began erasing all his 'Jesus's.

"May I ask what your business is here, Mr. Hood?" I ask it a professor-like voice. Calum stands up as he grabs Luke by his shirt and walks him over to us. 

"My boy here is failing French." Calum pats Luke shoulder aggressively, witnessing his discomfort. "His consoler told him this is his new fifth period."

All I could really say after that was a simple, "oh."

"Yeah, so I'm just dropping him off, like the responsible parent I am." Calum juts his chin out in a proud manner. 

"Oh shut it, you dick." Luke shoves his friend, looking at me apologetically. 

"It's best that I leave now, my half days are only so long." Calum has a smug smile while he passively annoys Luke. 

Calum looks back at me, twirling a strand of my hair in his fingers.

"Till we meet again, sweetheart." He winks, leaving me with the most annoyance I've felt in the last 17 years of my life.

"Whatta tool." I shook my head to Tyler. 

I glance to Luke as he sat down in the empty seat beside me, quietly pulling items out of his bag. I bring my attention back to Tyler, giving him help and some page numbers to flip through before I scoot over to Luke. His face looked purely irritated, vibrant eyes racing across the words in his textbook.

"Hey," I chimed, watching his eyes bolt up to meet mine. His features eased a little before he continued looking over his paper.

"Hi." Luke mumbled, his fingers fidgeting with the corner of his paper. 

"French, huh?" I try to warm up the conversation, but it looked like that was the last thing Luke really wanted at the moment.

"Yeah, second year." He said, barely audible. 

I nod knowingly, taking a look at his papers. I took two years of French in the ninth and tenth grade, so all my tricks and memories came flooding back. I get close enough so I could see its contents, flipping the textbook pages a few times until I find the one I was looking for. 

"Even though the page you were on was the one your teacher probably told you to look at, she's an asshole and doesn't want you to actually pass. She has no life, really." I tell him, pointing down to one of the main headers on the top of the page. "This one should have all the answers but if not, you can ask me for some help, okay?"

Luke's face softens, looking down at the page and then to me. His face perks up a little, a small smile forming.

"Thank you, Stella," He says gratefully, biting the inside of his cheek, "seriously."

I laugh lightly before standing up, ready to walk away, but I feel a hand grab my wrist gently. I look down to Luke as he continued to hold my small limb. I blush slightly at the sight of one of the most popular boys in school, holding my wrist.

"I'm really sorry about the way Calum treats you. I'm trying to get him off your case, I really am." 

It amazed me how Luke was known as this popular, hot guy with his other hot friends with the cool cars and preppy girlfriends. It surprised me, seeing the sides of him that doesn't have an ego as high as a skyscraper. It makes me wonder if all the popular guys had nice sides too.

"It's fine, really. He'll never get the better of me." I shook my head slightly, watching Luke's hand fall. He held a small grin on his face that made me feel so self-conscious of my pink cheeks. 

"I don't think anyone has given you the chance to see you better side, Stella."

_

I'm hoping the more I update, the more frequent readers I'll get but we'll see. I think this is going to be my main focus for a while. Stay tuned :)))

xo