Chapter 14

*Facepalm*  Uhhh so remember how last chapter I said there wouldn't be any new character introductions for a while?  I hadn't gone on to editing this chapter yet, and was just so glad to be done with that one that I completely forgot...there's one last person you haven't met yet (though you have heard of him).  Then there won't be any new people for a while?  Okay?  Okay.  Hope you enjoy, and thank you all for reading and/or commenting!  Besos y abrazos!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Please, please, just ten more minutes…

It took me a few moments to realize that the cheery tune I was hearing was not, in fact, my alarm, but my ringtone.  Lamenting that I could have slept through the call if I had only remembered to put it on silent before I went to bed, I flung an arm over to my nightstand just to see who would be calling so early in the morning, anyway.

Madre.

“Ughh…” I made some attempt to untangle myself from my blankets and sit up before taking the call, but soon gave up and simply pressed the answer button.

“Uh, hello?”  Though it took some effort, I tried to make my voice sound as bright as possible and not half-asleep.

“Lynn, were you still sleeping?”  There was disapproval in her tone.

“Hm?”  I blinked, propping myself up on an elbow to check the time.  Ten o’clock.  Whoops.  “No.  Why?”

“Well, your father and I would like to know when you’re coming up for Thanksgiving.  We’ll be going to Aunt Sofia’s house.”

“Oh.”  A knot appeared in my stomach, and I wished for nothing more than to crawl under the covers and hibernate through the rest of the winter.  Ordinarily, the subject wouldn’t have bothered me, but this year, I knew there would be a big hole left by Pat and Rachel’s disappearances.  Already, I could imagine the jealous glances of my mom and Aunt Lucy that would be exchanged across the dinner table, as Aunt Sofia still had all of her children safe and sound.  “Uh, I still have to check with work about that…can I call you back later?”

“Are you busy right now?” she asked.  I winced at the question.  She sounded desperate, almost, as if afraid that once I hung up I would disappear just like my sister had.

“Uh, well, just housework,” I said.

“Could we talk a bit more?  I miss you.  It’s been a while since we talked last.  How’s work?  Are you keeping warm?  It’s starting to get a lot colder here.”

It took all of my willpower not to groan in frustration as I rubbed my forehead tiredly.  “Uh, sure.  I’m good.  Miss you too.  Uh, work is okay.  And, uh…what was the last one?”  I stifled a yawn.  “Oh.  Yeah.  Um.  Yeah, it’s warm.  I mean, it’s cold, but I’m warm.  Thanks.”

I scrunched up my nose as I thought over the last bit of what I had said.  Had that made sense?

“Oh, well, that’s good.”  She fell silent, but still remained on the phone.  Apparently I wasn’t going to be able to end this conversation so easily.

“So, how’s Dad?” I asked, rolling onto my side and pulling the blankets further over my shoulders.

“He’s getting the groceries right now.  We’re having chicken curry and lamb vindaloo for dinner tonight.  You know—those microwaveable meals with the basmati rice.”

“Yum.  Garlic naan bread too?”  My eyes began drifting shut again of their own accord.  I barely even registered what I was saying anymore.

“Of course.  And then I was thinking of dusting off Tati’s fasulya recipe for tomorrow.”