Those Voices

"Wake up!  Wake up!" the sound slowly entered my head, slapping me awake.  I didn’t budge until I remembered that I could be attacked at any moment.  I sprung up and hip mu head on something.  “Ow!”

I looked around to see Dan behind me, holding his forehead.  “Sorry!” I apologized.  I looked around in panic, but didn’t see anything dangerous.  Confused, I tried to think of a reason of why I would need to be awakened.  “Why did you wake me up?”

“You were screaming, I thought that I was doing you a favor,” he explained, rubbing the spot where I bumped his forehead.  “What were you dreaming about?”

“Let’s just say that your dad is just say that your dad is easily offended, even by a mortal,” I sighed.

Dan nodded, he seemed to not really be listening fully.  “How does your forehead not hurt after it just slammed into mine?”

“I don’t know, probably the same way that I didn’t hurt after I fell thirty feet from a tree.”

“Actually, you broke your left arm and went into a minor coma.  I called my father hundreds of times, and this is the first time that he actually came to help in person, or god.  Anyway, he healed you.”

“I suppose that a coma is better than passing out,” I shrugged.

“You could die in a coma, you wouldn’t die if you passed out.  How is a coma better?”

“Because I don’t have dreams in a coma,” I shrugged.  “Call me crazy, but my dreams usually come true.”

“That is normal for a demigod,” Dan informed.

“I suppose that monsters attacking from every direction?” I sarcastically stated.

“Actually, that is what demigods are known for.”

I groaned, not looking forward to the trip.  Is this life batter then the average teen?”

“Not really.  Most demigods would trade their greatest gift for a normal life.”

“And most teens would trade their normal lives for a chance to me a hero,” I muttered too low for him to hear.  I know that I would, but I don’t have a normal life to trade.  We kept walking, finally going North.  “How long is this supposed to take?”

“Twenty weeks, if we aren’t slowed down a lot,” Dan sighed.

“So, probably six months?” I asked, just wanting to talk a little longer.

“My gods, I might be the son of Apollo, but that doesn’t mean that I know the future!

Wow, this makes escaping slavery look like getting out of school.  I thought to myself.

“How did you get here is in the first place?” I questioned.  You don’t just show up in Florida.

“My dad gave me a lift,” Dan felt his forehead.

“So, this was your quest?  To bring me to camp?”

“More like a job, I’m a finder,” he informed me.  The name seemed self-explanatory, finders probably are supposed to find demigods and bring them to camp.

“Aren’t there hundreds of demigods?  Why go to the farthest state for me?” I asked, not understanding the logic of it.

Dan turned his head away as he said, “The gods requested that you are saved next and brought to camp to start your training.  They said that you were important.”

Yeah, a mute is important.  I stared forward.  Shut up. I told myself in my head, but the voices came back.  ‘Going to go cry to your daddy?  Oh wait, he couldn’t hear you!’ ‘You couldn’t do anything right!’ ‘I’m glad that you can’t talk, you wouldn’t have anything important to say anything important!’ ‘You are useless!’  You will never be able to do anything with your life!’ I shook my heads, trying to get the voices to shut up before the thoughts would start to get too deep.

 “Are you okay?” I snapped back into reality.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine.  Why do you ask?”

“You were staring forward as if you hate the world.”

I smiled, mentally remembering how many times I have been told that.  “No, I was deep in thought.”  I started blinking fast, trying to blink the tears out of my eyes.

“You are scared, aren’t you?” Dan questioned, leaning closer to me.

“Me? No!” I sarcastically stated.

“I get it, I get it.  Don’t worry about what happens, you are going to make it to camp.”

I looked at him curiously.  “What about you?”

“Don’t worry about me, I will be a winner no matter what happens.”

I slowly nodded, suddenly worrying about him.  We walked in silence until I couldnt' stand it anymore.  I was about to say something, but an overwhelming pain came from my stomach and forced me to go to sleep.