Chapter 26: Brave Little Soldier Boy

GUYS FALLING FOR THE ENEMY HIT 2 MILLION READS WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH SO PLEASE HAVE THIS CHAPTER.

I WROTE FIVE DIFFERENT ENDINGS FOR IT. ENDED UP WITH THIS ONE.

HOPE YOU LIKE IT YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE.

~

SLAM.

The shock of seeing the infamous man with the metal arm – or as I know him to be, Buckaboobear – is fairly short lived, for we are quite literally jolted to a start when a car that is evidently driven by HYDRA agents slams into the back of our own. He only uses this as an opportunity to launch himself back onto the roof of our vehicle.

Sammy immediately starts driving once more, attempting to adeptly swerve the Winter Soldier off of our car. However, this is also short lived, because seconds later, Sammy finds himself without a steering wheel to even steer.

Balls.

Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile, tiny shells
Drifting in the foam.

Nat tries shooting at the hostile where she can, but the Soldier has already leapt atop the hood of the HYDRA car behind us. Snapping my gaze to stare through the now broken back window, I flick my hand out of the small space and earnestly watch as jagged shards of ice dart towards the car and the Soldier. It's obvious neither parties expected this, if their abrupt and panicked swerving is anything to go off.

Around the sharp icicles that sink their way into the hostile car, I barely register a metal gloved hand reach for and snap a small handgun into action, narrowly dodging the bits of lead aimed at my head. Ducking down below the seats, I hear a concerned "Lilly!" from the front seat, making me ground out an "I'm fine," to the super soldier in return.

Another jolt disturbs our car's driving, and before I even know it, the vehicle begins to aggressively swerve and tumble, jostling my senses. Hissing in pain at a strong thump to my head, I snap my foot out and kick off the car door closest to me, faintly aware of Steve doing the same in the front. Sticking my hands out in preparation – even though I know this will still hurt like a bitch – I launch myself out of the car whilst simultaneously shooting snow and ice from my palms to soften the landing.

For a good ten to twenty meters (32-65ft), I tumble mercilessly across snow covered concrete, fresh bruises sweeping across my entire body. It's nowhere near as brutal as it could be, my new suit preventing any and all scrapes, as well as buffering the impact for the most part. Another reason why I have to give Lucas and Stella a big thank you for the improvements.

Staring further up the road, I hazily discern Steve and Nat still scraping down the road on the detached car door, Sam having rolled off a few meters before them, whilst I still try to jog my senses after the rough tumble.

Little soldier boy
Comes marching home
Brave soldier boy
Comes marching home.

The HYDRA car has driven out in front of us by this point, parking in a way that blocks a sizeable portion of our side of the highway. Gritting my teeth, I place my black gloved palms flat against the snowy floor, weakly pushing myself up from the ground. Face scrunched in aggravation, I manage to rise to my full height, stumbling towards Sammy, reaching him just as a grenade launcher shoots out a grenade at Steve and knocks him clean off the bridge. Thank God for that shield.

Crouching behind a car with Sam, a small huff of annoyance tinged with pain bursts past my lips at the torrent of bullets that began to rain down on us moments after Steve's little trip over the side of the bridge, Tasha taking cover behind the car a little bit ahead of us.