Dreams?

Perfume...

The familiar smell in the air reminded me of the night just before today, when her hair had splayed out behind her on my pillow like a crown, her hands gripping my bedsheets as her lips formed my name over and over again.

"She was drunk." I had to repeat to myself. "Ben gave her too much wine. She wasn't used to it. She won't remember anything." I forced the memory out of my head, the need to vomit over whelming as I stood and turned, only to run smack into the small girl. My heart dropped and my eyes flicked past her, avoiding her gaze.

"Hey E."

Her voice climbed into my heart, stabbing the wound that was already open and bleeding.

She won't remember.

Just act normal.

Forcing a smile on my face, I glanced at the purple headed girl that was studying my face. "H-Hey Mal.. How are you feeling?" I asked, feigning concern. "You were pretty tipsy last night."

A wide grin split onto the girl's face and I visibly flinched. I knew that grin. Back on the isle, it was the thing most people saw in their nightmares.

"Apparently, wine hits me pretty hard." She says laughing.

Laughing.

"Lucifer, Auradon has changed this girl." I thought to myself as she continued to ramble about her night activities. "My Mal wouldn't care if she spilled curry on her dress in front of a prince. My Mal wouldn't get drunk off a few sips of wine and dirty dancing," My face soured as she continued to talk. "My Mal is gone." I whispered more to myself then anything.

Then I realized the silence.

Her green eyes scoured over my face, wrinkling her nose in thought. "What did you say?"

I jumped back clearing my throat. "I said, Mal was gone, last night. You were out of it, M." Forcing a chuckle, I felt my stomach flip, reminding me of the time. "But I really need to go M. I'll see you later. We have girl's night tonight remember?" I looked up at her face, confused at the nervous expression I saw on her face. "Err Mal?"

Mal cleared her throat awkwardly. "Well I kinda made plans for dinner with Ben tonight. I didn't think you'd mind." Her eyes flickered up to me, worry in her gaze.

If I wanted to ruin her relationship with Ben, I would've told her right there that, No I did in fact, mind and that girl's night was our night and how could she possibly want to spend it with Ben while her best friend sat alone in their shared dorm.

But she was happy.

So instead, I forced a smile on my face, nodding quickly. "I don't mind. Have fun. I'll probably call Lonnie or Jane, see if they want to hang out. They have better fashion sense anyway." I said teasingly, but the small girl inside me, the one in love with the nasty purple haired girl cried, covering my heart in tears that stung like salt being rubbed into the wound.

But her happiness was worth it.

The wide smile that broke onto her face, as she pulled me into a tight hug, something that would have never happened on the Isle, as she whispered a quick thank you into my ear.

That was worth it.

I ignored the tears that threatened to slip out of my eyes as I turned away, unable to watch as she curled into his arms, content and happy.

Something I would never be, because the love of my life loved a king. He could give her the world and I could only give her myself.

I wiped my eyes, sniffling as I headed back to my dorm, pushing past a concerned Jay and Carlos.