chapter.1

nikolai

two years later

Being the heir to the throne had it's positive and it's negatives. One of the negatives being that it required him to spend time away from home quite often as he had to maintain control over the kingdom by keeping a watchful eye on those that didn't live close to the castle.

Frequently, there would be small wars between different clans due to the strong personality of vampires, which naturally clashed against others. It was Nikolai's job to make sure innocent lives weren't lost where it could be avoided.

So, he was more than happy to go back to the palace after settling a childish feud that had been going on for longer than necessary, especially knowing what was waiting for at home.

Though the temperature couldn't be felt on his skin, he could still feel the warmth through his body as he stepped into the family home, whether imagined warmth or not. The stress from his travels immediately disappeared and every weight on his body felt a little lighter.

"Welcome back, Prince Nikolai." The maids and butlers said in unison, all bowing in synchrony.

A maid in particular caught his eye. Helena was one of his mother's handmaids and she was probably the most trustworthy one. Well, he definitely made sure of it as she was the one he had given his mate to.

flashback

"Call a meeting with my parents right away." He ordered one of the servants before speeding past them to the throne room. Despite the coconut scent being weak, he didn't want to risk anybody smelling it for too long and noticing the baby hidden in his cloak was in fact a baby werewolf.

Once in the empty room, he checked on the little wolf only to find her sleeping soundly as if everything in her life hadn't just changed. For better or for worse, Nikolai didn't know yet. He touched her soft pale hand and honestly felt like his heart began to beat when she unconsciously held onto it with all her might.

He was so enchanted by her that he didn't even see his parents run into the room, who normally captivated everyone in the room with their stately outfits, presenting immediate power and dominance.

"Nikolai, what is the meaning of-" His father, who had rough dark features and glaring eyes, was interrupted by his mother's gasp and excited, yet confused, words. She on the other hand had soft eyes and a charming smile, with light blonde hair he did not inherit.

"Is that a baby?" She asked, already hovering over the tiny being so she could clearly see for herself. The Queen waved at the baby, undeterred by the fact it's eyes were closed and it was clearly sleeping.

"What have you done now, son?" The King however, looked at the baby with less enthusiasm than his wife.

Nikolai was more than relived by the fact that the throne room was sound proof as he recounted the earlier events. He couldn't be too careful about vampire's listening into the conversation as the consequences of a werewolf baby in their custody could be dire.

Their faces were ones of disbelief and it didn't make him feel any better about the situation. He had hoped his parents would be the ones to give the advice and support he needed but it turned out they were just as clueless.

"I can't believe this baby is our future Queen." His mother said in awe of the delicate creature, too innocent to run a blood-thirsty kingdom.

"It certainly isn't what I expected." He commented.

"What did you do with Brinley and Peter?" His father asked.

"They won't be an issue. I killed them."

Caspian, his father, nodded in understanding. "Good. Who knows what they could've seen. We can't take the risk."