one!

" is this really a good idea?" elise asked, looking up from her sweet book.

" apparently, the school thinks so. anyways, anyone have any extra bathing suit? i didn't have one." harper asked.

" there should be one in my suitcase." elise replied, pointing to her cream suitcase.

" alright, everyone settle down. i'm about to call out pairs. unfortunately, since we are an odd numbered class, one of you will have to share with a student from mr. meeno's class." mr. yivler said, drawing the class's chatter to a minimum.

" alright, lindy and kyle. claire and owen. victoria and paige." the teacher announced the first three.

by the end of the call, harper was with rachel and elise was the only one without a partner.

" and that leaves us to elise. you're going to be with wilbert from mr. meeno's class." mr. yivler said.

elise's eyes shot wide open, turning back to her friends whose jaws were already dropped. elise had found quite a liking to wilbert. they don't really talk, heck, they've never talked. they've only seen each other in the halls.

" okay, thank you." elise said.

" what am i going to do?" elise said, pulling her hair back.

" you'll be fine. as long as you don't tell him you like him." rachel said.

" gee, how would that happen?" sarcasm dripping from elise's mouth.

" this is going to be a long bus ride." harper sighed.

" bye." elise said as harper and her watched rachel sit in another seat.

" so, how long do you think you'll survive?" harper asked.

" not a second." elise sighed heavily.

" hey, well, our rooms are next to each other." harper said, setting a small, dainty hand to elise's shoulder.

" yeah." elise sighed once again.

when the bus trip had finally reached galveston, elise was fast asleep. harper shook her gently, elise's eyes fluttered open.

" elise! i see wilbert!" harper shouted.

elise was quick to jump onto harper, covering her mouth before anyone, especially wilbert, could hear.

" shh!" elise shushed.

" alright, everybody let's get off!" mr. yivler said.

elise and harper stepped down the stairs carefully. elise quickly scanned the parking lot, searching for a certain boy. she met eyes with the boy for a split second before his eyes drew a away to a girl next to him. chestnut brown hair and hazel eyes. alison west. his girlfriend. harper followed the invisible line and her eyes filled with pity.

" let's go. we're going to get separated." elise said, drawing her eyes from the couple.

" yeah, let's go." harper said, sending an imaginary death glare at them.

" we have to wait in line for your bags to be checked. it's going to be a while." the teacher announced.

" you see, we're at the end now. i told you not to take those pictures." harper groaned.

" sorry." elise apologized.

there was some chatter behind them. the two girls turned around, elise capturing a picture before, and saw mr. meeno's class heading their way. wilbert was, of course, in front. elise quickly turned around.