Chapter 58

Jeana had seemed to transform back into Ida. But not the old Ida. She had been molded into a better version of her old self. Now that Joyce understood what her background was, the things that made her do what she had done, Joyce felt more compassion and love towards her. 

Joyce had forgiven Ida, but she wouldn't forget what she had done.

Ida had been spending time with her mother and aunt, trying to regroup and create a plan for her future.

Meanwhile, Joyce, Merek, and the guards were on their way back to the castle.

Joyce had assumed that King Benedict was back, but really she had no idea.

She hoped for both Merek and Phoebe's sakes that he was.

Days of traveling had passed and Merek and Joyce had spent every waking minute together. They were definitely in love. Joyce's love for him had always been there. But it had grown and when it was threatened, she had proved its strength.

Her act of love toward Merek had saved Dungannon.

Merek was very proud of her and loved to tell her that. He made her feel like no one else in the world mattered. Joyce loved that about him and thought it was another special talent of his.

***

When they finally reached the castle, Merek's mood changed.

"Are you nervous?" Joyce asked.

"Yes. I haven't seen my father in a very long time. What if he's changed?" Merek replied.

"Don't be asking yourself 'what if' questions!" Joyce said, "I'm sure he will be the same, awesome dad that you've always had."

Merek nodded and they approached the doors. 

When the doors opened, Merek stood still. Across the entryway, stood King Benedict. 

"Father!" Merek cried. He ran up to him and threw his arms around him.

"Merek! My, how you have grown! I've missed you." The king said.

King Benedict's eyes traveled to Joyce and he said, "This must be the young lady who saved us all."

Joyce smiled and said, "I couldn't have done it without your son and sweet wife."

"Ah, yes." Benedict said. "They are very special people."

***

Later that night, after dinner, Merek went to talk to his father. His father was in his bedroom reading on his bed with Queen Phoebe. Benedict got up and went to a little study room that was close by, with Merek. 

"Father, I wanted to talk to you about Joyce." He said.

Benedict nodded and listened while Merek talked.