A New Partnership

Two days later, Kagome and Bankotsu were ready to go to find jewel shards. Kagome was given a new pair of priestess clothes since hers was in tatters. Before they decided to leave, they learned something new about the mysterious monk, Shinichi.

"So you're a demon slayer?" Kagome asked.

"I was. But I retired early after I married and settled down." Shinichi said.

"Oh, so that's where you learned all those moves." Bankotsu said. Now it made sense to him. He had heard that demon slayers knew all kinds of fighting styles. He couldn't believe that he was easily defeated by a retired demon slayer. Bankotsu wanted to learn those moves.

"Hai." Shinichi said, "But after my wife and children were killed by demons, I decided to live here and make this a temple for survivors of villages that were attacked by demons." Shinichi said.

"I see." Kagome said. She knew that there were many people get killed by demons and try to find a safe place to live. It was hard to find that kind of place these days.

"I never thought I would meet the Shikon Miko in person." Shinichi said.

"How did you know?" Kagome asked, shocked.

"I saw the jar of shards wrapped around your neck when I was treating your wounds." Shinichi said.

"Wait, did you see me half naked?" Kagome asked in a panic tone.

"I'm afraid so." Shinichi said with a closed eye smile. Kagome quickly placed her face in her hands. She was so embarrassed at that moment. She couldn't believe that a monk had seen her half naked body. She won't be able to marry because of this.

"Before you set off on your journey, there are some things that I believe you will need." Shinichi said as he stood up and went into the hallway with Kagome and Bankotsu behind him. He slid open the door and went to the closet part of the room. Then he brought out a sword.

"I want you to have this sword." Shinichi said, holding out the sword to Bankotsu.

"Me? Are you sure? It looks like an ordinary sword." Bankotsu said, pointing at the sword with his left eyebrow arched. The sword looked like a katana, but there seemed to be a calm and powerful feeling to it. It was like as if the weapon was waiting to be used by someone.

"This was my weapon that I used to fight against demons." Shinichi said.

"Really?" Bankotsu asked, curious.

"Hai. I figured that it might be a better use to you than to me." Shinichi said.

"Thanks, Shinichi." Bankotsu said as he placed the sheathed sword around his waist.

"You're welcome, Bankotsu." Shinichi said, smiling, "Make sure to take good care of it."

"Don't worry, I'll take care of it." Bankotsu said.

"Good. Well then, you'll need to get ready for the journey ahead. I presume you're leaving tomorrow?" Shinichi asked.

"Hai. It would be best if we get an early start." Kagome said.

"Very well. I will give you some provisions for your journey." Shinichi said.

"Thank you very much, Shinichi-sama." Kagome said with a bow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Kagome and Bankotsu set out to find the jewel shards. Shinichi watched the duo as they walked further and further down the path.

'I don't know what your destiny is, Bankotsu. But it's possible that it is tied to Lady Kagome. Make sure to protect her with your whole heart, Shinichi thought, for she has a shattered heart that needs to be put together again.' Shinichi thought to himself.