Prolouge

My oldest memories are from when I was really young. The woman who I always thought was my mother would whisper wonderful stories to me before bed. I would listen as she spoke of a world of magic; there were warriors and evil villains, knife fights and men who fought off mythical creatures with their hands. She spoke of the supernatural, werewolves, vampires and fairies. There are forest nymphs and creatures with two or more heads and hearts. Witches and warlocks, there were demons and angels. It's a world where light and dark where just two sides of the story.

I would hang onto her every word, not only for the stories, but because her voice is the only one that ever spoke kindly to me. She was the only person who would venture into my dark seclusion with no evil intent. I was nothing but a small child and she was the only person in the world I had become attached to. What I didn't know is that every night she snuck down to see me, she was risking her life to do it, she never stayed more than an hour – but that hour was always the highlight of my day.

I lived in complete darkness, hidden away from the outside world. My room was nothing but four stone walls, no windows to shine in any light. It was a cold room, located in the basement of a huge castle and it resembled a small dungeon. My bed was an old, limp and dirty mattress in the middle of the floor without any bedding. I wore rags and I can only recall bathing once in a blue moon, though only with cold water. I had to relieve myself in a metal bucket that someone would come to clean out weekly and I was only delivered food once a day, If I was well behaved enough for it.

Mother's eyes were always sad and downcast when she came to visit. I don't know if it was out of pity, guilt or true sadness. I don't know the reason I was hidden away from the world and treated like I was, but the darkness is all I ever knew.

It was when I was five summers old, I think...The day my world changed. We were attacked in a huge fight, it could have even been a war. The attack on our castle lasted from day to night and then day once more. I knew nothing of what was happening outside the walls of my cold stone room. I would listen to the sound of battle from where I slept and then silence. It took them a while to scavenge and hunt through the castle, but eventually they made it down to the dungeon and found me. Men bigger than I have ever seen in my life came through my door which seemed a ten times too small for them and decided to show me the light. From there on I had learned...Some stories aren't just stories. 

(Hey guys! I hope you enjoy this new story that I wrote for you. I'm hoping you like it, because I'm having so much fun writing it.)