Not A Baby Anymore

Summary: Takiya learns some sad news about one of his relatives and is surprised to learn that in their will, he was entrusted with their young daughter. However, Takiya hasn't seen the girl since she was an infant . . . and isn't quite sure how to relate to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is this the child of your deceased relative?" Fafnir asked, examining the picture in Takiya's hand.

"Yes, it is." Takiya replied, "Her name is Enri . . . however, this picture is a couple years old."

"Oh? Then, if my understanding of human aging ratio is correct . . . that child is no longer this small, is that correct?" Fafnir asked, returning to his game.

"Yeah, she's in first grade already . . . just like Kanna and her friend." Takiya replied, "I haven't seen little Enri since she was a baby." 

"I see, it is understandable that you are uneasy with the newfound knowledge of her parents' untimely demise." Fafnir said.

"Not to mention that they want me to be her new guardian . . ." Takiya sighed.

Fafnir froze at the news, he was not informed that the child would be staying with them. In fact, he was well over pissed about the idea of a small child coming to live in an already small house. Trying to contain his annoyance, Fafnir noticed how much this was bothering him. 

"Clearly the parents saw something in you that no one else had." Fafnir stated, "Whatever that is, it makes you appear to be a great role model . . . so don't overthink something so trivial." 

Takiya looked at Fafnir for a while, then at the picture. The Dragon was right, apparently, he was seen as a mature and responsible person. Therefore, it was obvious that he was chosen because Enri's parents knew he would be the best guardian for their child. This newfound self-respect enlightened something in Takiya that he'd never felt before.

"By the way, when is this 'Enri' scheduled to arrive?" Fafnir asked.

"Huh? Oh, I'm supposed to pick her up from the station at 2 'o' clock." Takiya said.

Fafnir looked at his landlord for a moment, then sighed. It was currently a quarter past the hour . . . meaning he was already 15 minutes late picking her up. At first Fafnir thought about being a bit more "delicate" about the matter . . . however, if Takiya expected to be a good role model . . . he was off to a bad start.

"Takiya, you fool!" Fafnir yelled, "You've been standing around procrastinating and now you're late!" 

"Huh?!" Takiya gasps, looking at his watch . . . it was now 20 minutes after 2 'o' clock, "Crap! I'm really late!!"

With that, Takiya bolted out the door and to the train station. When he arrived, it was half past 2. The train was gone and there didn't seem to be any passengers straying on the platform. Sighing in defeat, Takiya glimpses at the picture of Enri once more. 

Those little dark red eyes . . . that jet black hair . . . Takiya couldn't forgive himself for letting her down, so much for being an amazing guardian. Just as he was about to leave, he heard the faint tapping of little feet on the platform. He looked around but didn't see anyone. Just then, he looked down . . . and there was a little girl standing in front of him.

The two exchanged blank stares with one another, before finally Takiya spoke

"A-Are you . . . Enri chan?" Takiya asked.

The small child nodded, reaching out for Takiya. Her face never changed, she remained dead-pan as she nuzzled into Takiya's arms. The wave of relief that washed over Takiya was more than he could handle . . . Enri was here . . . she was safe. Upon arriving to his humble abode, Takiya is relieved to find that Enri is fast asleep on his shoulders. 

"It's been a long day, it only makes sense that she's tired." Takiya thought to himself.

As she laid her down on the futon, Takiya noticed Fafnir was on his computer playing his favorite RPG. 

"Welcome Home." Fafnir solemnly said.

"Yeah, I'm home." Takiya smiled.

Fafnir glanced down at the small human on the futon, she truly did resemble the smaller one in the photograph. However, she was far bigger than he expected her to be . . . for some reason, this annoyed him.

"Is that her?" Fafnir asked.

"Yup! That's Enri." Takiya sighed, "She's had a long day, so we'll let her sleep before we do anything else." 

Fafnir nodded, then returned to his game. He was comfortable around Takiya and had adapted to their everyday life. Now with this new addition, he wasn't sure if he was prepared to attempt making the effort of adapting to another human in his life. However, he was unaware of what time would bring forth. All he could do now . . . was simply wait.

 was simply wait