Chapter 31

Chapter inspired by River - Bishop Briggs

*      *       *

I groaned in hunger when I finally got out of the pool.  A breakfast buffet was set up a little bit further from Alex and his newly found girlfriend. I thought he would believe me and take my side. I was not exactly sure what I meant by my side but none of them believed me.

It was quite infuriating but I was more interested in feasting on the appetis. So ordinarily, when the culprit came to stand beside me, I totally snapped.

"Jade."

"Fuck off!" I snapped, a little louder than I wanted to be.

"Okay." He surrendered his hands in the air and took a step back. I guess that wasn't enough for me. The stress from the past few weeks hit me and all I saw was red.

"You know what? Screw you, Galloway. Screw all of you." I practically yelled, throwing the glass plate at him. Under normal circumstances, he would have gotten away with a bruise or something...

If I could have taken it all back, I probably would. But I couldn't so I had to deal with the consequences of my actions.

The ground was sort of wet. Of course, water on tiles made the floor slippery. So picture this, Jacob took a couple of steps backwards, slipped and landed himself in a pool.

I didn't wait to see what would happen. I stalked out of there before anyone could stop me. I couldn't stay any longer. It was obvious from the start that no one wanted me. I started packing the little I had. I was in the middle of it when Alex stormed into the room.

"What is your problem, Jade?"

I ignored him, tying my hair up in a ponytail since it was getting in my way. As clueless as I was about the whereabouts of my passport, I shoved past him in search of it.

"Do you even know what you just did?"

I continued to ignore him. My hands started shaking.

"I'm talking to you, Jade." He sounded furious. He looked it. He acted it. Next thing I knew, he grabbed my arms and shook me like that would make me listen.

"Do you have any idea what you did back there? He wasn't breathing. He's unconscious."

"Well, it's not my fault he's a dick."

"Are you serious right now? They took him to the hospital and that's all you have to say. He could die."

I was at a loss for words so instead of speaking, I looked down at my feet.

"If he doesn't make it, I'll make  sure you spend every waking moment of your life wishing you were dead."

"Thanks a lot for the heads up." Tears stung my eyes and my teeth found their way back to my lips, "Can you let go of me now?"

"Just go back home." He let out an exasperated sigh, releasing me from his death grip, "I'll let Raphael take you to the airport or something."

I grabbed my phone off the table and took my leave. I didn't look back and for once, I was eager to get home. I was eager to cut every single one of them off.

*   *    *

I got home quite late. The lights were off and the house looked empty. Maybe because it was past midnight. I was lucky enough to have a chauffer drop me off.

I tried using my key but Mrs Reagan had decided to change the locks so a really loud and irritating alarm went off.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I grumbled,  kicking the door in irritation. Of course, it seemed to get louder. People started turning on their lights and a couple of them walked out. Our houses were not super close but you could see... enough. Due to the self proclaimed peaceful nature of our neighbourhood, I could only imagine the apprehension my actions caused the neighbours.

The Lintons, almost immediately after the alarm went off, turned their lights on. I could see one Linton coming out. An extremely bright light from our porch flashed on me and I was left looking like an idiot, standing in front of my house. Just great.

The lights were turned on from the insideas well. Finally, someone was up. I had my hands over my ears until the irritating noise came to a halt and the light was out of my face.

Wearing an elegant looking lace nightgown, my mother looked just about ready to walk down the aisle.

"What are you doing here so early, Jadelyn?"

"I live here, remember?" I huffed in absolute derangement, "and I was gone for just three days. My father would definitely not want that bullshit in his house."

"Well he's dead, Jadelyn. Get that through your thick skull." Her lips formed a thin unattractive line as her eyebrows furrowed, conveying her irritation. She stepped aside as I walked in.

"Would you like a cup of tea?" She offered.

"Go back to England and stop making unnecessary changes around here." I faked a smile, heading upstairs.

"Oh how I wished you could be more like Catherine." She scoffed. I decided to ignore that comment. I had no idea who my so-called sister really was and I had no intention to get to know her. Everyone wanted a better version of Jadelyn Marie Reagan. Maybe Catherine could give them exactly what they wanted.

For now, I couldn't give a rat's arse what they wanted me to change about myself. I had tried to fix what I could but none of it mattered because at the end of the day, I created an even bigger mess for myself.

"Goodnight, Lorraine. I sincerely hope you choke on your bullshit." I replied sarcastically when I changed my mind. I couldn't afford to ignore her comment.

I let out a huge sigh when I opened my bedroom door. My safe haven. It was untouched. Everything was still where I left it. I allowed myself to fall back on the comfortable bed and stared up at the ceiling.

I had taken little to the country I never got a chance to explore. Maybe France and I were not meant to be.

My stomach grumbled as I lay on the bed. I refused all the meals the stewardess tried to offer me in the private jet and I was starving.