Back Again

The flight pod glided lazily through space as Korrin navigated her way back to where she lived. It wasn't home, but it was enough. She pulled the pod into the abandoned ship she had been occupying most of her life. It was large and parts of it were still functioning. And being in a desolate part of the galaxy kept her off the radar. The lights would occasionally flicker on and off and the doors had to be manually pried open. Who it had belonged to, she didn't know and didn't care. She had found it when she was following a group of thieves.

Gravity shifted as she made her way deeper into the ship toward her room and her feet touched the ground. A small map hung above her bed with several marks on it. They marked where she had hoped to find someone who could help her. The red marks showed where there wasn't anyone and the blue circled areas were where she had yet to find out about. She heaved a sigh and fell backwards onto her bed, staring up at the map, not even sure if it was current. Then she turned to look out her window. The sky was black and nothing could be seen. It was empty, much like herself. She stood up and gazed at her reflection in the window. She had a human body, but she wasn't human. It was a shell, a vessel, only to contain her true self and her true purpose. There had been several doctors she had spoken to on different planets. But as soon as she had told them about herself, they turned her away, saying it was disaster-level dangerous.

I guess human biology is more complicated than I thought, she thought to herself. But what happened when Shiro touched me? I could trust them...? Pidge seems smart. Maybe they'd be willing to help me. A glimmer of hope sparked inside of her. Who am I kidding? I ran away from them. And even if I did stay, as soon as they find out, they'll treat me like what I really am...a freak.

It was something Korrin knew all too well. She would try to live somewhere with other people but it didn't take long for them to notice she was different. Then they would avoid her at all costs. It happened every time. So she decided to live on her own, surviving any way she could. She didn't like to call herself a pirate because pirates were greedy. She only took what she needed from thieves or people who had too much. Still, perhaps it wasn't the best way to live. She found herself putting the search for a doctor on hold.

"Shiro was right, this isn't a way to live..." she admitted out loud. But she couldn't just go back. She had nothing to contribute to the team. For now, she would keep to herself and hone her skills. The control she had over her abilities was constantly improving and always kept her combat skills sharp.

A few weeks had passed since Korrin had left the paladins and she had been using her time to increase the limit on her powers. She practiced in the lower part of the ship, where gravity was more difficult to manage. Using her powers, she anchored herself to the ground while attempting combat. It proved difficult but it worked. Soon she was doing it with ease. Using her powers for defense and offense at the same time was the next hurdle she wanted to tackle. She didn't know exactly what her limit was, but she was determined to push it. But after what happened to her right before she mat the paladins, she cautioned herself against going too far.

Taking a deep breath, she kept her feet rooted to the ground. She concentrated, then she lifted her hand towards her imaginary opponent. With a thrust of her arm, she sent a small energy blast across the room. She smiled, pleased with the outcome of her effort. But she wanted to be stronger so she did it again, and again; each time the blast was bigger and stronger. The final time, she really concentrated, wanting to extend the limit. She felt her arms twitch against the strain. She was reaching her limit, she could tell, but she wanted to get keep going. Pushing harder, she knew this would work. Just a little more, just a little bit more. All of a sudden an explosion of energy ripped out of her and she lost control. She fell upwards, no longer being anchored to the floor. She floated for a minute, regaining her thoughts and processing what had just happened.