SEIS

chapter six añoranza

--

"JESUS, MATEO

"JESUS, MATEO. WHAT did you inject her with?"

My eye twitched.

"Ketamine. Gave her enough to knock out a damn horse." I faintly made out the sound of his voice through the pounding of my head and the dreary clouds in the room. I could feel a pang of déja vû hitting my chest as hard as my anxiousness was, for I had been in this situation just weeks previously. Next, like my eye, my nose twitched, the dusty air in the room making my head tilt back to release a sneeze.

It woke me with a start, allowing my heavy eyelids to open, and I could barely distinguish the silhouettes crowded around a small wooden coffee table a few feet away, all huddled around and whispering. The moment I made a sound, their heads turned towards me, but I could only concentrate on the amber, tiger-like irises glowing through the heavy dark gloom.

"Well, if isn't Veronica Aimoto-Carrillo." A deep, taunting laugh came from the corner, belonging to a familiar young man with ice blonde hair. I narrowed my gaze at Marco, the man that I had first met upon my first kidnapping. The same man I had spat on and told him he had his head shoved far up his cannoli-stuffed ass.

"No," I said. "It's fucking Virgin Mary." The words were dripping with sarcasm as I struggled against the tight rope that bound my wrists.

A small snicker at my little comment echoed the room before an audible, Thwack!

"Cazzo! You didn't need to hit me that hard!" Another man's voice complained.

I rolled my eyes, "Okay. Are you guys actually going to kill me or are you going to sit there and act like five-year-olds?" I kept my tone bored as if I wasn't scared shitless, but deep down, I was fucking trembling. One of the only good qualities I had to my fucked up name was that I was an excellent liar.

Marco shuffled in the shadows, making a threatening step towards me. "You're real cocky, you stupid puttana-"

"Touch her and you'll be tied up too, Marco." Mateo rumbled from his stance, bulging arms crossed intimidatingly across his chest, his stare falling from my face to my body. It was then that I was suddenly aware of my lack of clothing. I had been wearing a robe before, but now I was in the lingerie that I had worn in my plan to steal Mateo's gun. It seemed like a good idea until now, and my skin was bristling with goosebumps because of the cold draft.

"Where's my robe?" I asked.

Mateo moved forward, enough for small source of light to catch the golden hue of his tan skin. He was handsome and rugged, his face glistening with what I could only guess was sweat. He must've just returned from a workout because he was wearing nothing more than loose, grey sweatpants with a black hoodie thrown on top. "Got caught in the car door and ripped." He said after a moment, as if he was thinking about what to say next.