Chapter Twenty

All of the air seems to leave the room when Callum leans in, a microscopic part between our lips.

He was going to kiss me.
Those plump, pink lips are almost to mine as my body releases an involuntary sigh, bracing myself.
He's closer now, I feel his breath fan across my lips as my eyes flutter shut.

Here they come.....

"Geez, you could've told me Maegan was a crazy bi-"

We're interrupted by Daniel who just realized he intruded on a private moment.

He rubs the back of his head sheepishly, "I can just come back later or..."

"Don't be silly," I blurt, taking a few steps back to clear my head of what was just about to happen. "You live here too."

Callum hasn't spoken a word, instead, he's glaring at Daniel, annoyance apparent in his demeanor.

"Well, okay then?" Daniel says unsure, wondering if he should actually go or not.
Finally, he decides upon heading into his room, closing the door ever so softly as if that would make a difference.

"I should go," I start to say before he opens his mouth.

His jaw is clamped shut by my words, somewhat masking the disappointment he undoubtedly felt.
My phone vibrates in my back pocket but I pay no mind to it; my only concern at the moment is leaving their room before things get anymore awkward.

With a slight wave of the hand and timid smile, I'm out the door as fast as I could go.

                       ***

There's giggles seeping through the walls as I lay in my bed, trying to block out all sound with the pillow I have squished against my ears.
Hannah and Hasith were in her room doing who knows what while I very annoyingly try to take my mind off of tonight.

Daniel just HAD to invite the skank, he just HAD to let her stay, he just HAD to walk in on us about to kiss.

I'm annoyed profusely, but a smaller part of me is glad we didn't; I'm forgetting that I don't do relationships or anything that comprises of it.

"Get yourself together Neveah, you're trying to spare some poor soul from the pain and disappointment your life brings," I remind myself.

I shouldn't even be with Callum right now; the last thing I'd ever want to do is hurt him and if I keep this up, that's exactly what's going to happen.

I don't want to do that to him.

Sitting up abruptly, I toss the pillow to the foot of my bed, mind too filled with my own thoughts to pay attention to the giggles and moans escaping from Hannah's room.
I needed to tell Callum I couldn't do whatever 'this' is anymore, before it gets too deep and I'm way in over my head.

My shoes were neatly placed beside my door and as I slip the fuchsia flats over my tiny feet, my phone pings from its position on the bed.
I quickly grab it, intent on wasting no time in high tailing it over to Callum's.
As the lock screen comes to life, I see a notification tab from the admissions office.

Uh-oh.

Good day Neveah,

I'm here to inform you that your payment for this month has been missed. As I am not sure of what the cause, the finance office is giving you till the end of next week to make your payment or you'll be refrained from all classes.

Warm Regards,
Mrs. Hemmings
Office of Admissions, Finance Board.

Crap!