Prologue

I wake up and I feel my lungs burning as I breathe in the sulfuric air. My eyes water as I watch our world, utterly consumed, turn to the ashes of what use to be beauty and joy. We are enslaved by demons that have risen from from hell to torment us and revel in our misery. The small joys in life are nonexistent as we live in constant fear and anxiety, I've seen people driven to madness or suicide in order to escape. We don't hope for heavenly intervention anymore, we hope for peace in nothingness. Nothingness is better than life.

The world has become an abomination and so have we. Women sell their children for mercy, men sell their wives for food, and children are ignorant that innocence they've lost. We were raised by those we are forced to love. If you grow up unattractive, you're put to death. If you grow up beautiful, you are put to work. Those who do their jobs well are promoted, those who don't become gladiators. This is not a world of mercy and kindness. Only the ruthless and bloodthirsty survive. Feelings don't belong in this realm. No signs of weakness, only the strong and the selfish can continue to live. I've watched brothers and sisters, husbands and wives, all of them drag each other down and find reasons to destroy one another for their self-preservation.

I've never known love, not the smallest care to the greatest sacrifice. But, I don't need that. I don't need the pity of a loved one seeking the best for me, I would never do it for them. All I need is my own willpower to continue my days. This isn't about living with the joy, this is about surviving. Love is just a complication.