II

My life has had virtually the same schedule ever since I became one of Mikkel's girls. Most of which was made up of me having sex with whoever was paying the most that day. The only breaks I was allowed was short meals and a few minutes between meetings to freshen up. However, with my food restriction, my breaks had been significantly shortened and more meetings added to fill up the allotted time. By the end of the day, I just laid on the bed and let them do whatever they wanted. Mikkel had made sure those who had special requests were at the end of those days, knowing my exhaustion would overcome me.

When my two days of punishment ended, the nightmare that is my life proved itself as untameable. Despite my life of torture, I reminded myself that it's better than being dead. The day I'm given meals again, Mikkel requests for me to go to his room and I knew my punishment wasn't truly over.

I took a shaky breath to calm my nerves as I knock on his door. I hear him mutter for me to enter and obey. The room is dark with only the lit fireplace illuminating his silhouette. His bare back is to me, his muscles moving as he rolls his shoulders. I stand by the closed door, my back straight and breathing silent.

"Do realize what you could have cost me that day?" he calls softly, his voice smooth and easy.

"It won't happen again," I simply state, hoping my promise will please him. Silence weighs on my answer as he contemplates his next words.

"The way you watched the gladiators almost seemed as if you wanted to be one yourself," he turns, his dark eyes flickering over my body before he continues to watch the fire, "Do you?"

"No, sir," I answer, wincing at the slight quiver in my voice.

He huffs a chuckle and goes to sit on his loveseat. He remains silent until there is a knock at the door. He waves for me to answer it, maintaining a neutral expression as Adairia enters with a younger girl, at least three inches shorter than me. She has a round, youthful face and slender dark gray, almost black eyes. Her dark hair was cut in a blunt bob that framed her face in a way that enhanced her prominent cheekbones.

"Isn't she a doll?" Adairia sighs, softly tracing her fingers down the girl's cheek. The girl visually flinches as the tall woman laughs at her, "She's so cute, I just couldn't make her one of my gladiators."

Mikkel stands to take a closer look at the girl. He grabs her chin and tilts it up, taking in her elongated neck and reaches for her shirt to check her cleavage. The girl squeals and pushes him away, falling in the process of trying to get away. Still, she doesn't sprint towards the exit, but instead watches him with horrified eyes.

He chuckles and I clench my fists as he smirks at Adairia, "Where did you find her?"

"Some nephilim were hiding her, calling her the last pureling," the woman purrs, her eyes greedily shifting between Mikkel and the girls. He nods thoughtfully before turning to the demon, "Anyone outside this room is an option for payment."

"Damn," Adairia laughs, tossing her blonde waves behind her shoulder, "You know I've had my eyes on Nadia for years."

Mikkel shrugs indifferently, acting like he doesn't notice her annoyed tone.

"Fine then, I'll take that pretty boy of yours. The one that got me my favorite boy," she sighs and my posture stiffens. Mikkel side-glances in my direction before turning to Adairia and nodding. She gives a delighted giggle as she rushes out, giving me a wink as she does.

"Take Kahli to your room. Prepare her to go to the next fight," he instructs, sitting back down to watch the fire. The girl stares at me in fear as I hold out my hand out to her with a small smile on my lips.