Chapter 11

It came time for the children to get new shoes and clothes, and so on Saturday, Levi drove us into town.

Minnie said that she had a project she wanted to work on, and I hoped that her claim wasn't just a cover for her feeling so badly that she couldn't make the trip herself. I certainly didn't mind the task, but I worried that she might not tell anyone if she was truly ill.

But the children were so excited. Bringing them into town was such an undertaking, that other than the weekly trip to church, they didn't get to do it often. Even Susan, normally so stoic, was delighted with the trip.

Knowing that the little ones' patience wouldn't hold long, I made sure that Mr. Noble fitted them for shoes first, and I had the older children look for the few other things that Minnie had requested while they awaited their turns.

I was watching Pheobe walk back and forth to get a feel for the new pair of shoes on her feet, when I noticed that a boy was talking to Cassie as she picked apples from the bin out in front of the store. The boy was probably sixteen or seventeen. He was tall and very handsome, and Cassie was smiling shyly.

Curiously, I drew closer to them, staying inside the store, unnoticed by either of the two. My instinct was to interfere, but I wasn't her mother and Cassie wasn't really a child. Many girls were married at fourteen or fifteen, which wasn't that far off for Cassie. And she did seem to like him.

"I bet you'd be real good at it," the boy said. "Maybe I could show you sometime. I've got an extra fishin' pole."

Seeming pleased, Cassie smiled up at the boy, but before she could answer him, two other boys about the same age, joined them.

"Afternoon, Cassie," one of them said.

Cassie was suddenly hesitant as she nodded in greeting.

"You ask her yet?" the other one said, slapping the first boy on the shoulder.

I would have thought that the blush crawling up the boy's neck was endearing if not for the mischievous look in the other boys' eyes. Somehow I knew his embarrassment wasn't caused by shyness in front of the girl he had feelings for. It was something else.

"Ask me what?" Cassie asked, curious but guarded.

"About our proposition," the boy on the left said. "You see, we wanna help you get started with your career."

"What career?" she asked.

The boy smiled cruelly. "Isn't it obvious? The only career you're any good for. The one that's in your blood."

Color flooded Cassie's cheeks and she lowered her gaze to the bin of apples, balling her hands into fists and clenching her jaw angrily.

"Joe here can't wait to be yer first customer," the boy laughed, slapping his friend's shoulder again. "And Ray and me will be in line right after him."

I wasn't sure if my revulsion or sympathy was stronger in that moment. I couldn't believe the cruelty of these boys to go through the charade of pretending the one had feelings for Cassie only to mock her.

A second later, I was beside Cassie, glaring up at the trio.

"Cassie, go on into the store," I said, placing my hand on her shoulder. "Mr. Noble is ready to fit you for your shoes."

She briefly met my eyes and I wanted to cry for the hurt and betrayal I saw in her gaze.

Nodding, she went inside.

I turned my glare back on the three boys.

"You ought to be ashamed of yourselves," I scolded once Cassie was out of earshot. "Speaking to anyone that way, let alone a little girl."