Chapter 1

"Quiet, Mr Dawson!" 

Marvin hated his job- almost as much as the students hated him. It was the first day back after the Summer holidays and, as expected, his students were as disrespectful and rude as ever. 

It really, really didn't help that Jason was joining. 

He huffed as the kids tried to hide their laughter and practically fell backwards into his old desk chair. He raised an eyebrow and shook his head, signalling that he wasn't going to start until they all settled down. They all rolled their eyes in response and shifted in their seats. The class had been taught by him for three years, and knew by now he had no problem with making them wait after the bell had gone to make up for the time they wasted messing around. Finally, they all went quiet, and Marvin stood up to continue. 

"Our first unit this year is 'Crime and Punishment'-"

"I bet you're an expert on that, Mr Walsby," someone from the back commented. Marvin rolled his eyes, but didn't stop.

"There'll be an exam at the end, right before the end of term, and I expect nothing less than C's from all of you. Any lower, and you can move down. Got it?" 

They all groaned, huffed, or made some other display of annoyance. Marvin had stopped caring what the spoilt students thought of him long ago. After all, what did it matter to him, if a 15 year old thought he was a prick? He'd been called worse. 

A few minutes later, and he was quickly reminded why he hadn't quit yet. 

"Mr Sweetheart! As tyrannical as ever, I see." 

Marvin spun around in his chair as the students laughed. Leaning against the wall with his sleeves up and his arm streaked with paint stood the only reason he hadn't left yet; Mr Brown, the only art and photography teacher who knew what he was doing. As maddening as his constant teasing was, Marvin loved it. It was all a big game- that had been made apparent when Whizzer had joined the staff three years ago- and Marvin had always loved to play. Even the students knew. 

"Mr Brown, you and I both know it's Mr Walsby. As flippant and immature as always," he replied bitterly. His frown was fake, but he was pretty sure no one had noticed. The students all seemed to be holding their breath. 

"Actually, it's Monday." Whizzer replied proudly. 

Marvin just huffed, as usual.

"Hey, kids!" Whizzer greeted, waving to the sleepy students at their desks. They all smiled and nodded back. "When was the last time you smiled, Walsby? You're making these poor kids as miserable as you are."

"Don't you have a job to do?"

"I don't know- do I?"

Marvin didn't have to take that. He rolled his eyes at the immaturity and twisted back to face his class. Deciding he didn't care whether Whizzer stayed or left, he continued his lesson, talking the students through the kind of material they'd be studying. 

"There'll be a lot of practical stuff in this unit, and we'll be visiting-"

"This is super interesting, kids, so you'd better all listen."

Of course he interrupted. Marvin huffed, muttering 'smartass' under his breath as he turned again. 

"Do you mind, Mr Brown?"

"I don't know- do I?" Whizzer repeated, and Marvin didn't even have to look up to know that he was smirking smugly, proud of himself for creating such disruption. 

Marvin stayed silent, glaring at the floor as though he could set it on fire with sheer willpower. Eventually, Whizzer spoke.

"As much as I'd like to stay here and chat, Mr Walsby, I have a class to teach instead of bore them to death. See ya, sweetheart."

With that, he turned and strolled out, whistling the tune to an old TV show as he made his way down the hall. The students irrupted into laughter.  Such events had become the norm, but it never failed to make Marvin's face heat up. He slammed his hand on the desk, determined to finish the lesson.