31 - Cartoon Network and Chill

I toss and turn in bed that night, and no matter how hard I try, I'm unable to turn off my brain. The thought of Sully alone, weighing heavy on my mind.

Hartley's snuggled beside me, her breaths slow and even. She looks peaceful lying there, the curves and angles of her heart-shaped face relaxed as she nuzzles closer in her sleep. It reminds me of the Hartley I knew back in Ohio, before her dad died, and she had to move away. The girl who'd always been strong-willed and quick with a joke.

The screen on my phone reads 1:13 am. I could text Sully to see if he's still awake. I know he is.

And there's something I need to do.

After one final glance at Hartley, I slink out of bed, careful to move soundlessly across her hardwood floor.

I slide into navy blue joggers and my favorite Harry Potter T-shirt, a pair of Converse hugging my bare feet. I jot down a quick note and place it on my pillow, then creep to the window and wiggle it open.

With my feet safely planted on the roof, I peer down at the sprawling neighborhood, the rooftops easing their way toward the glowing lights of downtown. Crickets chirp from nearby bushes, their calls carrying on the breeze through the dark.

Goosebumps dot my arms as I make the slow descent down the side of the house and into the yard, my gaze darting erratically, making sure the coast is clear. I saddle up to the tree line like a ninja, weaving my way through manicured shrubs and brush before inching along the perimeter of Sully's two-story house to the sound of leaves rustling overhead. Once in front of the porch, I stop and stare.

He's still awake. A bluish tint from the television transcends through the picture window as different scenes flash across the screen.

He's going to think I'm crazy showing up in the middle of the night, uninvited.

Before I can talk myself out of it, I knock twice. The hinges creak open.

Sully peeks through the screen, his hair rumpled around his face. "Gwen?"

"Hey." I rock back on my heels. "Did I wake you?"

Heavy brown eyes scan the space around me. "No, I'm just watching TV. Where's Hartley? Is she okay?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Why wouldn't she be?"

His shoulders rise in a blunt shrug. "No reason. Why are you here?"

"I couldn't sleep and wanted to make sure you were ... okay." I shift backward toward the steps. "I should have just texted. Sorry to bother you. Have a good night."

"Wait!" The door swings open and he steps onto the porch wearing a white T-shirt and a pair of black and red plaid pants. "Does anyone know you're here?"

Blood rises to my cheeks. I shake my head.

His eyes scan what I'm wearing. "You mean, you came all this way in the middle of the night just to check up on me?" His lips quirk up at the corners and the tension melts from my shoulders. "I'm flattered. You're like the female version of a knight in shining armor."

Our eyes meet and he takes a step closer.

"You can come inside if you want. I have popcorn. And the mindless yet comedic ramblings of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim."

A slow grin spreads across my face. "How can I say no to that?"

"You can't. It's not possible."

He holds the door open and I slip inside. The house is dark, the only light is from the television screen fastened to the wall like a painting. A hot dog-shaped ball of fur lifts its heads from the center of a nest of blankets on the couch and hops down, its tail wagging furiously.