Chapter One

A cool breeze drifted through the open window as I sat back on my bed, listening lazily to the chatter of birds and the rustling of palmetto fronds. The afternoon had passed by slowly, as I sat taking in the soothing sounds of nature and reflecting on my life choices. In the moment, I was quite content with my progress, but yet recognized that I had much to go. For the time being, everything was seemingly falling into place, and it was a period to enjoy the fruits of my frivolous labor. I was stable, and that is precisely how I like it. My brother Jake on the other hand, was not.
The recent passing of our grandfather, Abe, has left him in shambles. Abe was his hero, and the only true father figure either of us had ever known. The abrupt and unusual nature of the passing has destroyed Jake. I do my best to console him, but he takes little notice to my efforts. With any luck, Abe and I's birthday gift will lift his spirits.
Three years ago when I turned 18, Abe gave me the greatest gift of all: knowledge. More specifically, the knowledge of the peculiar world, and my peculiarity. At first, I was completely baffled by the existence of such people, but as Abe continued it became easier to understand. After that, we talked quite often about peculiardom, mainly his stay in Miss Peregrine's care. The stories he told were fascinating to say the least, and I longed to experience the world in which he had. More than anything, I wanted to share this with my brother. The possibility for adventure was vast, and Jake always did want to be an explorer. But Abe had forbid me to tell Jake until he turned 18. His only wish was for us to live a normal childhood. So I kept it secret, hoping that one day Abe and I would tell Jake the wonders of the peculiar world, and that we would have the opportunity to visit Miss Peregrine together. But the world is cruel, and with Abe's sudden departure, this dream was shattered. It was now up to me to carry on the peculiar legacy and inform Jake of the truth.
____________________________

A soft knocking on my door regrettably drew my attention from my thoughts and back into the real world. I found it quite odd, because the only person who knocks is Jake, but he shouldn't have returned home from therapy for another twelve minutes and fifty-four seconds. Nonetheless, I responded with a small hum, signaling for him to enter.
He entered slowly, with a solemn look on his face. Very rarely was he seen looking otherwise these days, something that tugs harshly upon my heartstrings.
"You're home early"
He looked at me, then slowly came to sit beside me. A few minutes of silence passed between us, which I spent studying the melancholy etched into his features. The recent occurrence seemed to be troubling him deeply, and perhaps his therapy session didn't go as well as our parents had hoped. Soon, he broke the silence.
"Why are you all acting as if nothing happened"
The question was quite sudden, and at first I was unsure of how to respond. After pondering his concerns, I answered,
"We all mourn in different ways Jake. And you know I'm not very inclined to show emotion, even in extreme situations."
He looked at me for a moment, then returned his gaze elsewhere.
Sensing that he was not satisfied with that answer, I continued,
"I'm troubled by it as well Jake, but I prefer to celebrate the life he lived, rather than weep at his passing. That's how Grandfather would have wanted it"
Content with this response, he nodded his head and shifted to stare at the ceiling.
"You're especially down in the dumps today brother. Is there anything I can do to cheer you up"
Jake sighed and shook his head,
"Nothing. Unless you can bring him back"
I smiled and got up from the bed to rummage through my closet in search of a gift. There is only one thing that may bring Jake out of this depressive state: Abe's gift. It was an old book, filled with foreign money, postcards from Miss Peregrine, and a map of loops. Soon, I found it sitting on the top shelf with a thin film of dust resting upon the cover. With a gently blow, I dusted it off, then turned to Jake.
"This is from Grandfather. I'm not supposed to give it to you until you turn eighteen, but I think now is a more appropriate time"
I handed over the book, then returned to my spot on the bed. He was confused at first, but upon opening the cover and reading some of the letters, his features flashed with excitement. Never have I seen him so happy.
   "So she is real" he said.
   I smiled and nodded.
    "There is much to talk about, and I will tell you everything he told me when I came of age. I owe that to you, brother"
   And so began our conversation into all things peculiar. We talked for hours, and reminisced on Abe's best stories. Overall, the gift had lifted his spirits greatly, and later on at dinner it showed.
    ____________________________
   The first half on dinner was silent, but the air was noticeably lighter, and filled with a lively energy that Abe used to exude.
   Franklin, our father, was the first to notice it.
   "You seem to be feeling better Jakey. I'm glad the therapy with Dr. Golan is working for you"
   Our mother nodded her head in agreement and added,
   "Hopefully we can put this chapter behind us in the near future"
   Little did they know, therapy wasn't to blame for the light mood, but rather Abe's final gift to Jake. Neither of us said a word about it. Abe's name was more of a curse in this household than a blessing.
   "Yea, I guess it kinda is helping" Jake agreed, not wanting to start an argument.
   I looked on silently, with a smile on my face to indicate my support. We finished eating soon after and our parents retired for the night, leaving Jake and I to clean the kitchen.
   "Hey, Desiree, can we talk...alone"Jake whispered.
   I gave him a quizzical look and responded,
    "Are we not"
   He sighed and gestured to the attic above us. I silently nodded and we finished up quickly.
   After we were done in the kitchen, we sped off to the hallway and clambered off up the ladder to the attic, where we kept Abe's old photographs. Our parents rarely ever visited the attic, so Abe's items were safe there. In the attic, there was a swing hanging from the ceiling, a small sofa, and a single lightbulb. Jake clicked on the light, and I took a seat on the swing and slowly went back and forth. We settled into a comfortable silence, the only noise being the chirping of the crickets outside. It was peaceful here. A place where we could think and speak without being overheard. Some of our best memories were made here. The silence was soon broken by a single question:
   "Are we peculiar, Desiree"
   I looked up at him, then out into the dark corners of the room. Though I knew the answer, I was reluctant to provide it, because Abe wanted us to live a normal life, not the one he lived. I debated for several minutes, the settled on an answer.
   "I am. Grandpa told me when I turned eighteen. He said I was like Miss Peregrine. He told me I am an Ymbrene"
   He nodded.
   "And what about me"
   I smiled at him, and lied through my teeth.
   "He said you were, but he never told me your peculiarity. I'm sorry"
   Jake nodded again and smiled.
   "I'm still a bit skeptical. But I guess there is only one way to find out. Turn into a bird"
   I laughed at him, and eventually humored his request. The shift came naturally to me, despite the time between my last shift, over two months before Abe died. I landed beside Jake, and stared at him for a few moments before shifting back. It felt good to be myself, and the small amount of time in bird form elevated my mood.
   "That's amazing! What kind of bird were you though? I didn't recognize it"
   I giggled softly and replied,
   "That's because we don't have any Verreaux's Eagles in Florida. A more common name perhaps is the African Black Eagle. Maybe you've heard of it"
   Jake smiled,
   "No, but I have now"
   I nodded, and we fell into an awkward silence. My thoughts wandered to Miss Peregrine, and how much I adored her. I wonder if she'd be proud. I wonder if she knows we exist. In my younger days when I was just figuring out who I was, I had quite the crush on her. Apparently, Jake had been thinking along the same lines and drew me from my thoughts,
   "Do you still have a crush on Miss Peregrine"
   I looked at him dangerously, and not without a bit of mischief,
   "What makes you think I had one to begin with"
   He wiggled his eyebrows and said,
   "You told me when you were sixteen, remember"
  I blushed slightly and smiled. Those were simpler times.
   "No, she was rather pretty though"
   "Sure. One of the postcards from her was written two years ago. Do you think she could still be alive"
  I knew the answer right away of course, but again, I was reluctant to tell him the truth of the matter.
   "She could be, we could send a message to her to check"
   He laughed heartily at this response,
   "Dear Miss Peregrine, it's Jake and Desiree, Abe's grandchildren. We do sincerely hope you are not dead. Wishing you all the best, Jake and Desiree"
   The snarky response elicited a giggle and a glare. We very well could send a letter, not that it would reach her, because I have no knowledge of where to loop entrance is, or anyone who could be trusted to deliver such a message, but the thought left me wondering, even after we had both said our good nights and returned to our bedrooms. Often times, I'd lay awake and dream of what my life would have been like if I had followed in Miss Peregrine's footsteps and became a proper Ymbrene. I wonder if I would have charges of my own, or if my loop would have been raided by the wights. Another thought crossed my mind as I was drifting off to sleep: what I might be to Miss Peregrine. Surely nothing more than a charge, or perhaps a student, because people weren't like me back in the forties. But the thought lingered still. I imagine how it must feel to be in her embrace, not as a charge, but as her lover. In my younger years, I did my very best to drown these sapphic thoughts of the Ymbrene, but now I've come to the realization that they can swim. Perhaps I should venture to Cairnholm, not that it would lead to anything, but only to relay the news of Abe's passing. And admittedly, to catch a glimpse of Miss Peregrine. As I drifted off to sleep, these thoughts permeated my being, and solidified the idea of visiting her, one way or another.