chapter 15

Stepping out of the shower, there's a fluffy red and orange robe waiting for me; pulling the cord tight, I went out my bags are still sitting right where I left them; grabbing one I set it on my bed and started to unpack.

Setting my laptop on my desk and everything else in my closet and wardrobe.

Opening my closet there are a few things that aren't mine. There all in different shades of red and blacks.

Pulling out one of the few pairs of jeans I own and a black sweater. As I brushed out my hair, I looked at my neck there's no mark, not even a sign that there was anything there to begin with. Just as I put my last bag away, Alex knocked on my door. Funny, I have never been able to do that. What is happening to me? "Come on in Alex." Stepping into the room, he gave me a look.

"How did you know it was me?" "I don't know, I just knew it was you. Alex what is happening to me?" "I don't know, but we have to get to Raphe, he's in the library waiting for us."

I nodded grabbing my runners, stepping into one, looking at the clock its well after seven I had no idea it was so late.

"Lead the way."

I said motioning to the door. I followed him out, looking at him he showered and redressed; black jeans plain red T-shirt and runners. Walking down the hall, he stopped so I can walk in first. Raphe is standing at one of the large floor to ceiling windows; looking out over the backyard; the sun is out but going down, casting everything in shadows.

"Are you alright Zaphira?" "I'm better thank you. But to be perfectly honest I don't know what's going on with me." Turning to me he showered and changed as well; as usual he's in a suit but his jacket is sitting on the back of a chair. "Have a seat; there's a drink and some food; and we will try and figure things out."

Alex and I sat on the couch, like we did before; he handed me some food and Raphe sat across from us. "So tell me what else has happened."

"Other things have been happening to me. I could hear Zack's heartbeat, and I have never been able to do that before. I can heal faster, I don't know what is happening to me. After the bomb went off, some shrapnel was embedded in my neck and when Alex pulled it out and it healed before he could do anything."

"Is that so?"

Alex nodded, taking my hand, trying to calm me. "Do you know what any of this means?" "No I'm sorry. I have no idea. I have never heard of anything like this happening before. I have some people I can call, but I have never heard of anything like this before."

We sat there, staring. What the hell are we supposed to do then?

"So essentially I'm becoming a hybrid of sorts. I have my fire demon half." I said motioning with my free hand to Raphe. "Now I have some vampire traits." Pointing to Alex. "Then there's something else. Raphe I hope you will know about this."

Taking a deep breath. "Back at the hotel before the bomb went off; I called to whatever this is inside me, to help me when everyone started changing, some little voice in my head called to me; told me to trust her. And that I wasn't ready for my demon half to come out."

He nodded; knowing what I'm talking about.

"It's our other half talking to us. They help us; after we make the change. We can only hear our own talking, we can't communicate with anyone else's half like that." "Will they ever come out, when it happens?"

He shook his head. "No. they just help us. I don't completely know what they are, but they somehow know we need them, and come to us." "So there in our heads? What?" Leaning forward in his seat. "We don't really know. We do know that when one of us dies; it all appears to die, we haven't been able to find anything of it; after the death."

"But we won't let anything like that happen to you." Alex said tightening his hold on my hand.

Checking his watch, Raphe said. "I have a call I have to make. You two go downstairs and have some fun. I won't be long." He left taking his jacket with him. Alex pulled me up, and we started for the door going downstairs.

I stopped when I caught sight of a calendar. "How is it almost April?" "When it comes to this stuff, it can be easy to lose track of time. We have to stop that, with what's going on out there, we can't afford to lose more track of time." Its March 28 I don't know how I lost that much time.

We didn't bother changing as we walked down the stairs, the lights overhead coming on.

"What are we going to start with?" "I want you to shoot at me." "What? I can't do that! I could kill you." "No you won't. You have to control it. I will move around the room and all you have to do is track me, shoot and try to hit me."

I kept arguing with him, as he walked over to wall, pressed a button, most of the lights went off, but a few stayed on, and different colors of lights came on. Some flashing, and some staying a solid color. "What are you doing?" "Use your senses, track me. I want to know what vampire traits you have. So as I move follow me, close your eyes and listen for any signs of me." Suddenly he's in front of me, staring into my eyes. "Just close your eyes and listen." He moved, going through the shadows. I did as he said, and closed my eyes listening for him.

1